This New Home Decor Trend Is All About That Edgy Minimalist Vibe
Since its feature on MyDomaine, Brutalist decor has been taking the design world by storm. Once popular during the mid-’80s, it’s making a comeback, with decor enthusiasts praising its iconic post-apocalyptic aesthetic. Mainly characterized by raw concrete, jagged edges, organic shapes and patinated metallics, the Brutalist decor trend remains unapologetic and reserved for only the bold and daring. Think you got what it takes? Scroll on to find out how to bring this edgy modern trend into your home.
1. CB2 3-Piece Metal Grate Set ($70): Minimal meets Brutalist in this set of three perforated aluminum squares. Available in three oxidized finishes — rust, turquoise and bronze — there’s no doubt your living space will look on-trend with these industrial metal grates on display.
2. Chairish Brutalist Style Gold Judith Table Lamp ($479): Inspired by post-apocalyptic shapes, jagged edges are a cornerstone to Brutalist decor. If you’re digging the powerful imagery this statement lamp inspires, make sure it has a space in your home.
3. DIY Cement Vase: Try your hand at duplicating the raw concrete look that defines the Brutalist trend. What you’ll need is fast-drying cement, old drink cartons and copper spray paint. (via We Love Handmade)
4. DIY Concrete Table: Get the authentic, unrefined concrete look without breaking the bank. With just about $15 worth of materials, you can make the perfect Brutalist stool or side table. For a sleek metallic finish, spray it down with a can of gold paint. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
5. Silas Seandel Brutalist Occasional Table ($2,436): Reminiscent of mechanical post-apocalyptic shapes, jagged edges are an accent you’ll find everywhere in a Brutalist-inspired home. To bring this element into yours, adopt the Silas Seandel free-form Brutalist occasional table.
6. Tom Ahlstrom and Hans Ehrlich Brutalist Pair of Mid-Century Wall Sconces ($4,475): Illuminate your home with these gunmetal and glass mid-century modern wall sconces. Though inspired by another trend, they stay true to the organic, sculptural aesthetic.
7. Marbella Brutalist Bar Stool With Leather Seating ($550): Made of dark-brown stained beech, these seats owe their sturdy appearance to metal furniture nails and leather upholstery. If you dig the iconic design of the seating, make sure to get one ASAP!
8. Alain Douillard Side Table (Price upon request): Embrace Brutalism in all its glory with this intricately designed metal side table. Though its bottom half comes off as aged and industrial, its glass surface gives it a surprisingly modern, refined appearance.
10. CB2 Folded Metal Wall Mirror ($129): Edgier than the traditional sunburst mirror, the iron wall mirror is elevated yet remains industrial. Its pinched and pleated design adds to its telling unfinished element.
11. 1stdibs Geometric Wall Mounted Nail Sculpture ($5,925): If decor could embody chaos, this nail sculpture would be it. Give your home some serious edge with this rebellious form of wall art that demands respect.
12. John Richard Transitional Gold and Silver Vase ($450): Take on the organic element of Brutalism with this molten metal designed vase. This unique mercury glass vase is the perfect centerpiece to a holiday tablescape or an everyday tabletop sprucer-upper.
13. Viyet Modern Metal Side Chairs ($795): Made of raw steel frames, these side chairs will add an undeniable edge to your household. Pair them with a concrete table to complete the look, or a glass-topped table to show them off.
14. Modernist Chandelier Spots Brutal Paul Evans Style ($899): Take it to the next level with this eerie Machine Age-inspired chandelier. There is some oxidation on the piece that further authenticates its Brutalist appeal.
15. Sputnik Modern Pair of Brutalist Metal and Blown Glass Sconces ($2,200): Light up your hallway with these sconces made of torch-cut metal and amber blown glass. Their versatility allows them to be used with wall-mount brackets as sconces or without as pendant lights.
16. CB2 Perspective Wall Mirror ($149): Refined and unrefined, this perspective wall mirror will bring somewhat of an optical illusion into your home. Its slightly angled mirrors and manipulated reflection will have guests wondering whether it’s actually broken or whole.
17. Kelly Wearstler Precision Bench ($4,800): Upgrade your space with this perforated metal bench. The burnished bronze legs with its luxe leather upholstery make this an ideal piece for a modern space.
18. Kelly Wearstler Acolyte Bowl ($1,295): Organic and rugged shapes set in dark tones epitomize the post-apocalyptic theme. Cast in brass with hand-picked pyrite, the rough texture of the Acolyte bowl proves its place within the rebel decor trend.
19. Kelly Wearstler Dillon Cabinet ($17,090): Burnished brass and bleached walnut come together to form this impressive cabinet — although that hefty price tag may put it more in Brutalist inspo territory. The interior even comes with a bonus of an antiqued mirror back that stays true to its grungy aesthetic.
Which of these decor items did you love? Follow us on Pinterest for more on the latest decor trends!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.