I Made Lipstick Out of Bubblegum and This Is What Happened
As a beauty writer, I was pretty sure I’d seen and tried it all — the good, the bad and the ugly experiments in the name of beauty — until I stumbled upon a YouTube video that showed a vlogger making lipstick out of bubblegum. It totally blew my mind: How TF could seriously legit lipstick colors be created from gum?! I couldn’t wrap my head around the concept. But after watching the YouTube video of Rachel Levin (with her adorable pet goat by her side!) master the art of turning a candy into a cosmetic, I knew my reaction warranted way more than an audible “OMG.” Her process seemed pretty simple and the colors she created were straight-up awesome. So, I was instantly committed to giving this crazy experiment a go.
Good news: This is a really easy, silly and super fun DIY to complete, but be warned — you will need an apron, because this ish gets messy. It’s worth the mess though! And my favorite part? Customization. You can experiment using various types of gum and different flavors and colors to find your beauty sweet spot. Here’s what happened when I made lipstick out of bubblegum.
— food coloring
— microwaveable bowl
1. Take two pieces of your bubblegum of choice and add them to a microwaveable bowl. Pro tip: The harder, less chewy types of gum work best (like thick HubbaBubba gum) because when heated, they are less viscous than thinner options (like Juicy Fruit).
2. Add a spoonful of Vaseline and a couple drops (or more, or less) of food coloring to the bowl. Mix two colors (red + blue) to create a new one (purple!) if you want. Give it a little stir.
3. Pop this mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir again.
4. Then, microwave the mixture again for 30-45 seconds and then mix until it’s all blended together — you now quite literally have made liquid lipstick ;) Note that there might be some bubblegum that won’t 100% dissolve, which is okay, because it acts as a lip scrub when you apply it.
5. Spoon the bubblegum lipstick into a cleaned-out lipstick tube and then put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes until it hardens. Take it out, swipe it on and get ready to brag about your bubblegum beauty DIY. Take a look at the six shades I ended up with below after playing with different types of gum and amounts of food coloring.
I have to say that this was one of my favorite beauty DIYs ever. I loved the colors that resulted from this experiment — my faves were a pinky-nude (using HubeBubba Bubble Tape and no additional food coloring), a bright red (adding two drops of red food coloring to HubbaBubba Dr. Pepper) and a raspberry shade (mixing in two drops of red + 1 drop of blue with Juicy Fruit). Note that this stuff straight up STAINS your lips because of the food coloring; I actually had to use a makeup wipe to remove it at the end of the day, so you’ll get a super long-wearing color from these. My lips felt really hydrated thanks to the Vaseline base, and tasted yummy because of the bubblegum. While I’ll probably stick to buying lipsticks most of the time, this was a really fun way to create and customize my own lipstick.
Follow us on Pinterest for more DIY beauty inspo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)