5 Ways to Give Your Closet a Makeover like Your Favorite Celeb
If you’ve already busted out the mop and broom and completed that intensive spring clean, major props to you. But after you have a clean house, it’s time to dive into that closet of yours. We’ve already shared the best places to donate those nixed clothes and the ultimate closet mistake you’re making but if you’re in need of advice either on how to decide what to get rid of or how to get everything organized, here are a few tips from a few of our favorite celebs.
1. Lena Dunham: Forget the bedroom-sized closets we’re used to celebs having. NY dweller Lena Dunham has a pretty realistic sized wardrobe. She consulted a professional organizer to help her get those clothes under control and from the looks of this Instagram snap, it seems like two major changes she made was organizing her clothes by color and putting her shoes in clear boxes. If you don’t want to go out and buy a plastic box for every pair of shoes you own, try this DIY route, where you take photos of all your shoes and then tape that photo onto old shoeboxes. (via @lenadunham)
2. Jenna Lyons: The J.Crew #girlboss and fashion icon leaves her clothes out on open racks to create more of a dressing room feel. Emulate this simply by grabbing a clothing rack from IKEA ($12). If you’re happy with the way your closet looks now but want to embrace this idea, try creating a small rack in a corner of your room where you can put a few of your favorite pieces on display. (via Domaine)
3. Brad Goreski: If anyone is going to know how to clean out a closet like a pro it’s probably going to be celebrity stylist, Brad Goreski. He shared a few helpful tips with Popsugar, but our favorite is this one: “Try to allow yourself to part with something that you’ve been holding onto for a long time. Things that you don’t love but just can’t seem to get rid of for some reason. Just know that the thing you’re going to get rid of is going to turn into something new and beautiful.” (Photo via @mrbradgoreski)
4. Lauren Conrad: If you’re one of those people who is afraid to get rid of clothing because you think, “I might want to wear it someday,” Lauren Conrad has a tip for you. In a post on her website, she advises you to try “the switcheroo.” She explains, “At the beginning of the year, turn all of your hangers backward. As you wear items, turn the hanger back around so it’s facing the right way.” This way you’ll really be able to see what you wear and what you don’t. (Photo via Ray and Jen)
5. Miley Cyrus: This was Miley’s closet from her teenage years so we’re guessing she has since moved onto bigger, better and wilder wardrobes, but there is one idea here we’re really loving: that ladder shelf shoe display ($71). If you’re not into the idea of storing your shoes in boxes, clear out some wall space in your room and show them off like you’re some kind of Carrie Bradshaw. (via Guest of a Guest)
What’s your secret to keeping your closet super organized? Share with us in the comments below.