Celebs Like Chloe Grace Moretz Are Loving This Easy Trend for Fall
Easy wardrobe updates from celebrities are what dreams are made of — it’s so refreshing to see celebs wearing stuff we can actually copy, such as a skinny scarf, a pendant or simple black and white dresses.
Emma Roberts and Chloe Grace Moretz both debuted a simple, easy-to-find trend earlier this month, and it’s one that is totally work appropriate. It’s called contrast piping, and it’s where the seams of the garment have been piped with a contrasting color. It can often be seen on a western-style shirt like Chloe Grace’s, or just running up and down the cuffs or placket (that strip where the buttons meet) of a regular blouse or the seam of pants. No matter which way you like it, it’s a super simple — and chic! — way to dress like one of your favorite celebs.
1. Boohoo Lorraine Contrast Dress ($35): Start with simple black and white, like this PJ-inspired silk shirtdress. You can layer it with a colorful crew-neck sweater, or even with colored tights for a pop of personality.
2. River Island Contrast Floral Dress ($100): This dress is so rad, thanks to the white piping around the edges of the floral print. Keep it minimal for work with a pair of classic pumps, or go all out for girls’ night out with some heeled black booties.
3. Rag & Bone Contrast Nico Blouse ($325): If you’re a silk blouse kind of gal at work, a colorful staple like this one from cult favorite Rag & Bone might be a good investment. Tuck it into pencil skirts Monday through Friday, and let it loose over jeans for a Friday night date.
4. ASOS Lace Dress with Contrast Trim ($89): Tonal color pairings, like this light pink and deep mauve, really get our hearts racing. The contrast piping follows the seams and is a cool, surprising accent.
5. Misguided Contrast Piped Sleeveless Waistcoat ($40): Layering is key for colder months, and this cute piece will look great over wide-leg pants and a thin turtleneck. Good news — you can wear it all year round by pairing the waistcoat by itself with black pants in warmer weather.
6. Alexis Isa Off the Shoulder Top ($298): This has three trends in one — off the shoulder, contrast piping and ruffles — and it still works for a night out. Black or cream pants will go nicely, but try something interesting like red or navy blue to really turn heads.
7. Alice and Olivia Edith Keyhole Blouse ($285): ‘70s fashion is still going strong, and this mustard-colored blouse is an easy way to incorporate the decade into your work wardrobe. A granny cardigan completes a geek-chic look, while a plaid skirt makes a pretty preppy pairing.
8. Express Contrast Piping Portofino Blouse ($50): This is the classic staple version of this trend, and it’s one you can get a ton of use out of, whether wearing it with work slacks or with ripped jeans and a blazer.
9. Cooper and Ella Tessa Piped Dress ($235): It’s a good bet that you’ll be able to wear this black and white dress all year round, for every occasion. Think of it as your new LBD — it’s loose and cool and a great starting point for a large piece of colorful jewelry.
10. H&M Tie-Front Blouse ($35): This blouse is awesome, not only because it comes in sizes 14-24, but because it’s so preppy and feminine. A red or navy blazer will accent this blouse nicely, rounding out that whole “I’m sitting in a French cafe” look.
11. Adelyn Rae Fit and Flare Dress ($87): If you never know what to wear to weddings, try this navy dress with simple turquoise piping. It blends in enough to not upset a bride, but it stands out enough that you’ll feel special too.