We all know it’s important to drink lots of water for health, beauty and general well being, but sometimes we need a little help in the hydration department to get us through the day. Whether you’re feeling under the weather, did an extra-hard outdoor workout or had one of those crazy busy days when 6pm rolls around and you realize you haven’t stopped to have a glass of water yet (hello, we’ve all been there), it can take more than chugging back some plain old H2O to set ourselves right. When we’re dehydrated, we’re also losing essential sugars and salt in the body, so we need to add those back into our system too. Enter this delicious, thirst-quenching Citrus Refresher! It’s a healthy mix of citrus juice, sea salt and natural sweetener blended with water for a seriously tasty drink — it almost tastes like a creamsicle — and most importantly, it packs a vitamin-rich rehydration punch your body will thank you for.
- — 2 cups cold water or coconut water
- — ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (or any sweet citrus fruit like mandarins, clementines and pink grapefruit)
- — ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon and/or lime juice
- — ½ teaspoon sea salt
- — 2 Tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- — ice and leftover citrus wedges to serve
— a blender (optional)
1. Juice all of your citrus fruit until you have a full cup of juice. A 50/50 balance of sweet and sour juices works well here, but feel free to adjust to your own taste and according to which fruits are available at the grocery store.
2. Add the juice to your blender followed by the salt, maple syrup or honey and cold water or coconut water. Blend for 20-30 seconds to mix everything together well. The blender is ideal to quickly dissolve the salt and sweetener into the mix, but you could also pour the ingredients into a large mason jar with a tightly closed lid and give it a vigorous shake for a minute or so to get similar results.
3. Pour into a glass over some ice and garnish with a citrus wedge and you’re ready to drink up!
Juice all of your citrus fruit. Oranges and lemons are a great combo to start with, but feel free to use other seasonal citrus like clementines, mandarins, limes and grapefruit.
You’re looking for a total of one cup of juice, about half coming from sweet citrus and half coming from tart citrus.
Pour your juice into the blender and add in the salt, sweetener and water.
Blend for 20-30 seconds until everything is well combined and the drink is nice and frothy.
Pour over ice and garnish with a wedge of orange or lime and sip away!
Since this is a great post-workout drink, prep the refresher ahead of time and portion it out into mini mason jars so you can bring it along to the gym.
So what are you waiting for… aren’t you thirsty yet?!
If you love this recipe, check out our drinks Pinterest page for more great ideas.