5 Hacks to Make Your iPhone Feel Like New Again
You’ve probably heard a rumor (or 10…) about the much anticipated iPhone 6. We get it — the mere thought of a durable, scratch resistant screen is enough to make us drool. And don’t even get us started on the 13 megapixel camera with pixel enlarging capabilities. (All unconfirmed rumors, of course. But who could resist?)
1. Clean Out Your Phone: To keep your iPhone in tip-top shape, you need to make sure you have adequate storage space. This will improve your device’s functionality and will enable you to do a software update. Trust us, you’ll feel the difference instantly.
You can do this manually by deleting apps you no longer use as well as those unusual yet creative selfies you took when no one was looking. (Especially those!) Alternatively, you could use PhoneClean, a free software cleaning software, which works in a similar way to CCleaner and CleanMyMac, makes it easy to rid your device of any unnecessary data. With a few clicks, you can kiss damaged media files as well as unnecessary texts, images and other media files goodbye.
2. Protect Your Phone: If you’re anything like us, you spend a considerable amount of time surfing on the go. And while there’s nothing quite like free Wi-Fi to make a morning commute fly by, have you ever stopped to think about your privacy? Unless you’re super savvy about it, your online activity can easily be tracked. That means someone could be reading your emails without you knowing it or worse, could get their hands on your credit card details.
It’s time to get smart about your mobile browsing habits with SurfEasy. This handy app does the worrying for you. It makes sure you’re protected and lets you surf anonymously and safely wherever you may be. (Free on iOS and Android)
3. Upgrade Your Battery: Ever noticed how your iPhone battery never seems to last very long? It’s one of our pet iPhone peeves. But don’t let that make you ditch your phone for a newer model. You could be doing it all wrong — download Battery Doctor and you’ll never get caught with a low battery again.
This app helps you stay on top of your battery and even gives you a good idea of how much power each app is gobbling up. Other useful features include an indication of how long it will take for your phone to recharge as well as tips for preserving your battery. (Free on iOS)
4. Automate It: Backing up your phone will free up space, improve your phone’s functionality and will give you peace of mind. This way, even if you lose your phone, your memories won’t be lost forever. Using the IFTTT app, you can set up automated processes to backup your data. It may sound complicated, but it’s really simple and quite fun!
IFTTT or If This, Then That is an app that lets you create automated recipes — the data, not the food, kind. Think of recipes as rules. For example, if Instagram then Dropbox. This would send any image you upload to Instagram to a Dropbox folder. To really get a taste of it, we recommend giving one of IFTTT’s many recipes a try. (Free on iOS and Android)
5. Give It a Check-Up: Sometimes, when a phone acts up, there may be something wrong with it. In this case, it doesn’t matter how much free space you have or how healthy your battery is. Using an app like PhoneDoctor will help you pinpoint defects quickly and easily so you can get your phone up and running without any fuss.
In eight minutes, the app thoroughly tests the phone’s hardware including calls, audio and wireless functions. It also gives you an indication of the phone’s hardware, battery and memory health. The app helps optimize the battery and memory so your phone runs faster. Perhaps it’s time you book your phone an appointment with the PhoneDoctor? ($2.99 on iOS)
What apps would you recommend for rejuvenating an old iPhone? Share your suggestions in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.