This Is What Happened When Our Creative Director Took the Most Colorful Maternity Photos EVER
Confession: I am a patternaholic. This is a real thing. Aside from leggings, tights and one black t-shirt dress, I straight up do not understand a world where one wears a solid color. Throughout my pregnancy, I’ve taken a different approach to pregnancy style and have continued to wear my brightest and boldest patterned dresses — thankfully these pieces happen to all be on the stretchy end of the spectrum. So, I decided to take the same approach to my maternity photos. Patterns on patterns on bump. Let the bumptastic games begin.
I teamed up with our badass babe photographer Brittany Griffin to make my pattern-obsessed dreams a reality. It started as a one-off. I wondered aloud if we could superimpose the pattern of my dress onto the backdrop of a photo. And luckily, the Photoshop gods said “oh HELL yes.”
Voila, a maternity photo series dream was born.
First, THE SHOOT:
1. Pull all your patterned dresses together.
2. Arrange them in rainbow order. (Steam any wrinkles out!)
3. Take photos of each dress on its own. Hold it so that you don’t have any gathers or wrinkles — this will end up being the backdrop for your photos.
4. Get ready for your close-up! Take photos of yourself in each dress on a plain white background. (Pro tip: Try to vary your facial expressions and position so that you don’t accidentally look like a robot.)
This is where Photoshop comes in HARDCORE. If you don’t have the skills yourself, enlist a friend. If you don’t have a ‘shop-savvy friend, you can actually outsource the toughest part!
1. Crop photos of each dress on its own so that it appears to be an all-over patterned background.
2. Use Photoshop to “clip” photos of yourself in each dress. This means basically cutting yourself out of the background of the photo so that you can insert the patterned background. This is where some outside help can come in. There are lots of “clipping services” available on the internet; do some Googling and you should be able to send them out for clipping.
3. Layer the clipped photos of you onto the corresponding patterns. Done and done!!
Now, let’s BUMP the rainbow. Scroll on to see all 36 dresses we pattern-on-patterned. And if you’ve got creative maternity photos that we should check out, send ‘em our way via Twitter, Facebook or Instagram @britandco. You can follow my last couple months of bump photos on Instagram @anjelikatemple, more specifically #onebrownbump ;)
OMG you made it all the way down here? Well scrolled, fellow pattern-lover.
Photography: Brittany Griffin
For more pattern inspo, follow us on Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)