18 YouTube Videos That Will Teach Your Old Dog New Tricks
From the time they’re precious puppies until their muzzles turn grey, dogs are our bestest friends in the whole wide world. We just feel such a strong connection with those furballs, and learning each other’s language is key to that friendship. Sure, you could hire a pet trainer to teach them the basics of obedience, but it’s way more fun and personal to do it yourself. Check out these video tutorials, which will take you from Dog Training 101 to… well, you’ll just have to see the last few videos to believe it! Who knows — you and Fido might become the next Internet sensation ;)
1. Clicker Training: First things first: Both you and the dog need to learn how to use a clicker properly. It’s one of the most successful ways of reinforcing good behavior and is essential for most of the following tricks. (via eHow Pets)
2. Speak, Shake and Sit Pretty: These three tricks may seem small, but they lay the foundation for more advanced tricks. The best part? Your dog can master them all in just one day with advice from Animal Planet fave Zak George. (via Zak George’s Dog Training rEvolution)
3. Give Paw, High Five and Wave: Your dog may be comfortable around you and your family, but it’s a different story when guests come to the house. These three tricks will teach your pooch good manners when company comes calling. (via betterbooktv)
5. Learn the Names of Toys: Repetition, patience and positive reinforcement are all you need for this trick, which BTW has sooo many applications. “Go get mama’s slippers.” *click click* (via Kristin Crestejo)
7. Fetch: You might think dogs know how to fetch innately, but getting them to bring it back and cooperate is going to take some extra effort. Once they’ve got it down, you’ll have a fun way to get them some quick exercise. (via Training Positive)
11. Balance a Treat: Don’t think sitting still is a trick? Just imagine someone placed a big, tasty cronut on top of your head and see what kind of restraint you have. Plus, there are endless things you can balance on your dog’s head — just ask Chuck. (via Training Positive)
12. Ring a Bell: Teaching your dog to ring the bell isn’t too much of a challenge, but the real trick comes when ringing the bell communicates something to you (such as letting you know they need to go outside and use the bathroom). So smart! (via betterbooktv)
Dogs > Humans?
14. Fetch a Beer from the Fridge: This is not a drill. Repeat, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Put your feet up after a long day and your eager-to-please pup will grab you a cold one from the fridge. (via Kristin Crestejo)
16. Jump Rope: We’re sure you have a great bond with your canine friend, but let’s see how you work together as a team. As a bonus, jumping rope is a pretty sweet cardio exercise for both of you. (via Donna Hill)
17. Surf: You’ve heard of Buddy the Amazing Surfing Dog, right? We bet he’d love to have some other four-legged pals out there hanging ten. Check out this video to see how his owner made it happen. Cowabunga, dude! (via Videojug)
18. Man’s Best Bartender: Grabbing a beer from the fridge is one thing, but pouring pints? We’ve officially seen everything. Wonder if Steve the bulldog cards according to dog years or human years? (via Animal Planet)
Have you taught your dog to do any amazing tricks? What training methods did you use? Show us what you’ve got in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)