8 Pieces of Embroidered Typography to Step Up Your Lettering Game
Looking for new ways to practice your lettering skills? Yeah, so are we! To get our gears turning outside the usual realm of paper and pen, we decided to look to our fave mavens of embroidery on Instagram for some lettering inspo. Seeing as we’re currently halfway through our 50 Days of Lettering creative challenge, where we commit to lettering something every day and sharing online with our friends, these embroidered typographic designs are a welcome source of fresh inspiration. Get in on the challenge with us, and share pics of your work on Instagram, using the hashtag #50daysoflettering and tagging @BritandCo. Now, lets check out all of the different stitching styles you can use to create killer embroidered typography.
View this post on Instagram
Have you told yourself this lately? If not, take a second and do it. Right now. It's not fair to yourself to go another second doubting who you are or what you are doing. There are enough haters in this world, don't let your own self be one of them. 👌🏻💕
A post shared by Kristen Gula (@gulushthreads) on
1. @gulushthreads: This big beautiful hoop comes from our own Embroidery Online Class instructor, Kristen Gula. This combo of two fonts and florals checks off all the boxes for a balanced and beautiful design, and is the perfect place to start off on your embroidered lettering adventures.
2. @threadhoney: Not only are we loving the color combos and crisp outlined text here, but this hilarious (and accurate) reference to our fave goofy gal, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, provides the perfect motivation for all your girlboss endeavors.
3. @maricormaricar: Okay, now this is some next level stitching. The twinning duo behind Maricormaricar is constantly amazing us, but this particular piece is giving us serious color and texture goals. Goodbye social life I have some stitching to do ;)
4. @magnolia.threads: This next piece combines beautiful, bold lettering and candy colored french knots that are simultaneously making me want to get to work on my next passion project AND find myself a retro gum ball machine.
5. @femme.broidery: Ain’t it the truth?! Sometimes your embroidered lettering is best left clean and simple, letting your message shine. Plus, check out that awesome banner work.
View this post on Instagram
Finally back from Vegas and I am so ready to get working! I'm seeing some Vegas inspired hoops in the near future!!! 🌴🌸🍍 . . #thebarmyfox #thebarmyfoxshoppe #makersmovement #easbi #embroidery #embroideryhoop #embroideryart #embroideryhoopdecor #hoopart #wallart #walldecor #homedecor #abmcrafty #abmspring #etsy #etsyshop #etsyseller #etsyuk #treatyourself #makersgunnamake #handembroidery #smallbusiness #smallbusinesslove #etsyfinds #craftsposure #girlboss #lovehandmade #needlework #psimadethis #modernmaker
A post shared by TORY + THE BARMY FOX (@thebarmyfox) on
6. @thebarmyfox: This next piece is the perfect example of how AWESOME your embroidered letters can turn out when you start with a nice brush hand-lettering style. Experiment with filling in some letters and leaving others as an outline to really make your typographic piece pop.
7. @brynnandcoshop: This pretty pair of hoops is an excellent reminder to play with contrast in your designs to really make your lettering stand out. Then, give your piece some extra pizazz with pretty floral accents.
8. @makingjiggy: I’m leaving you with this last piece of embroidery inspiration, just because it puts a big ol’ smile on my face. Remember that the best designs are the ones that make people smile, so go out, grab some embroidery thread and have FUN with it! :)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)