17 Formal Hairstyles That Are Surprisingly Easy to DIY
Wedding season is upon us. And as most of us already know, it ain’t cheap. Whether you’re a guest, a bridesmaid or the couple of honor, you’re either gonna have to drop a serious chunk of change or get creative. We’re all for the latter option ;) One of the simplest ways to DIY a wedding is to become your own beauty pro, so browse these YouTube tutorials to find the perfect formal hairstyle. No one will guess you didn’t hire a stylist!
6. Date Night Hair: This half-up style works just as well with your own long locks as it does with hair extensions. We think it would look killer with a wedding veil, so pin this to your bridal hair board STAT. (via Luxy Hair)
8. Fishtail Braided Updo: As long as you know how to do a French braid, a fishtail braid and a bun, you can recreate this sophisticated style. Finish it off with a sparkly clip and dazzle the crowd. (via Missy Sue)
10. Frozen-Inspired Updo: This braided/knotted updo was good enough for Elsa’s coronation, so it’s definitely good enough for your big day. No superpowers needed — just super long hair, so get some extensions in there if you need the boost. (via Fashion On My Own)
11. Messy Bun Without Bobby Pins: Ahh, next-day wedding hair… combing through teased tresses while pulling out pin after pin after pin. Or not! Try this smart messy bun which only requires a hair tie, and then accessorize with flowers or sparkly pins to make it formal. (via Bebexo)
13. No-Heat Spiral Bantu Knot Out: You can get big, voluminous corkscrew curls without any heat by using bantu knots on stretched hair. Keep separating those untwisted locks to get more and more body. (via Samirah Gilli)
14. Big, Curly Side Ponytail: Side ponytails are perfect for special occasions because they’re just a little bit different from your everyday look, photogenic from every angle and the right blend of cute and sultry. (via Foxy Locks)
17. Braided Formal Updo: If your arms are getting tired just watching all these hair videos, remember that your bridesmaids are here to help. Enlist the help of your best friend to follow along with this tutorial. (via Kayley Melissa)
What big events do you have coming up this summer, and what hair ‘dos are you going to try? Tell us your favorites in the comments!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!