17 Formal Hairstyles That Are Surprisingly Easy to DIY
Wedding season is upon us. And as most of us already know, it ain’t cheap. Whether you’re a guest, a bridesmaid or the couple of honor, you’re either gonna have to drop a serious chunk of change or get creative. We’re all for the latter option ;) One of the simplest ways to DIY a wedding is to become your own beauty pro, so browse these YouTube tutorials to find the perfect formal hairstyle. No one will guess you didn’t hire a stylist!
6. Date Night Hair: This half-up style works just as well with your own long locks as it does with hair extensions. We think it would look killer with a wedding veil, so pin this to your bridal hair board STAT. (via Luxy Hair)
8. Fishtail Braided Updo: As long as you know how to do a French braid, a fishtail braid and a bun, you can recreate this sophisticated style. Finish it off with a sparkly clip and dazzle the crowd. (via Missy Sue)
10. Frozen-Inspired Updo: This braided/knotted updo was good enough for Elsa’s coronation, so it’s definitely good enough for your big day. No superpowers needed — just super long hair, so get some extensions in there if you need the boost. (via Fashion On My Own)
11. Messy Bun Without Bobby Pins: Ahh, next-day wedding hair… combing through teased tresses while pulling out pin after pin after pin. Or not! Try this smart messy bun which only requires a hair tie, and then accessorize with flowers or sparkly pins to make it formal. (via Bebexo)
13. No-Heat Spiral Bantu Knot Out: You can get big, voluminous corkscrew curls without any heat by using bantu knots on stretched hair. Keep separating those untwisted locks to get more and more body. (via Samirah Gilli)
14. Big, Curly Side Ponytail: Side ponytails are perfect for special occasions because they’re just a little bit different from your everyday look, photogenic from every angle and the right blend of cute and sultry. (via Foxy Locks)
17. Braided Formal Updo: If your arms are getting tired just watching all these hair videos, remember that your bridesmaids are here to help. Enlist the help of your best friend to follow along with this tutorial. (via Kayley Melissa)
What big events do you have coming up this summer, and what hair ‘dos are you going to try? Tell us your favorites in the comments!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.