5 Tips for Creating a Gender Neutral Baby Registry
You’re all about surprises, and your baby’s sex may be the biggest one of all. Even though you couldn’t be more excited for the big reveal, your friends are a bit, well, confused. Your baby shower is coming up and they have no clue if they should buy the blue or the pink. Creating a registry when you don’t know (or want to share) your baby’s sex means making it 100-percent gender neutral. If you’re not sure what to include, check out these tips for keeping your registry free of both “little slugger” and “pretty princess” gear.
1. Pick a color. So, what exactly is a gender-neutral color? You’re picking out onesies and receiving blankets, but you don’t want anything that screams girl or boy. Decide what a gender-neutral color is for you. You might think baby blue is perfectly fine for boys and girls. Or, you might want to stay away from anything that is traditionally associated with a boy or girl. This is your baby, your registry and your decision.
2. Match your design decor. You have no idea if there’s a Savannah or a Steven in your belly, but you’ve still gone ahead and picked out super stylish decor for the nursery. Maybe it’s an all-ivory theme, or maybe you’re going with brights and bolds. Pick registry items that match your design decision. This makes color coordination much easier, and it keeps all your gear looking like it’s a similar style.
3. Create a blank canvas. Considering you haven’t met that little person who’s still inside of you, knowing what he or she will be like is a pretty tough call. You don’t know if he’ll be sweet and subdued or she’ll be bubbly and over-the-top outrageous. Regardless of your baby’s sex, a blank canvas lets you add in accents that match his or her personality (after he or she is finally here). This means registering for the most neutral items possible (think whites, creams and ivories). Later on, you can add a baby blue hat to the white onesie or violet trim to a cream blanket.
4. Surround yourself with animals. Giraffes aren’t particularly masculine or feminine — neither are ducks, birds or puppies. Unless that cute zoo-themed sleeper has an elephant wearing an “I’m a girl!” t-shirt, an animal theme is a fairly safe bet. Your friends can give you baby clothes, bedding, nursery items and gear that features everything cute, cuddly, furry and feathered — just not gendered.
5. Be bright. Who says that baby clothes and decor have to follow a soft pastel color palette? If lilac, sandy yellow and mossy green don’t necessarily seem neutral to you, go bright. Pick out registry items that feature apple reds, sunshine yellows or grassy greens. Not only is a bold color scheme adorable on a baby, but it’s equally boy and girl friendly.
What’s the one baby registry item that you absolutely have to add? Tweet us your top pick @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)