The Prettiest Gingerbread Cake Recipe of the Season
Need a simple yet stunning dessert this holiday season? Well, look no further than this festive gingerbread Bundt cake with cinnamon icing and gorgeous pomegranate seeds! Don’t have the time or desire to fuss over cake layers or perfectly smooth frosting? This one-bowl recipe comes together rather easily while making your kitchen smell of everything sugar and spice! Both molasses and honey keep things sweet and flavorful, while the additions of butter and oil make sure each bite is tender and delicious. It’s the type of cake that stays moist all week — perfect for holiday houseguests to nibble on whenever a sweet craving strikes, at weekend brunches that linger into the afternoon or on last-minute coffee dates between Christmas shopping and the 637 other things on our to-do lists this time of year.
A simple sprinkling of pomegranate seeds takes this cake to the next level. In the right light, they even look like little jewels! Not into pomegranates? Try shredded coconut, sugar pearls, sprinkles, or sugared cranberries instead!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Whisk together the ingredients until the sugar dissolves and the icing resembles a thick paste. Add more or less milk until desired consistency is reached. Gently pour over the top of a cooled cake and garnish as desired.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a Bundt pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar until pale in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the melted butter, oil, honey and molasses. Set aside.
- Stir in half of the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the honey-butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in the last of the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Lastly, fold in the milk and sour cream. Stir until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or thin knife comes out clean when inserted into the deepest part of the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before carefully removing the cake from the pan. To remove, place a large cutting board on top of the Bundt pan, then carefully flip the pan, cake and cutting board upside-down. Fingers crossed the cake slides right out!
- Allow cake to cool before adding the icing.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cinnamon
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)