13 Delicious Pizza Bowl Recipes That Are Actually Healthy
Everyone’s flipping for bowls these days, and we are too. If you’re avoiding carbs or gluten, you might think your pizza-eating days are over. Well make way for the pizza bowl-nanza! These bad boys have all the yummy fixins we crave — savory sauce, meats, cheeses and veggies — minus the bad ol’ crust. Scroll on for 13 pizza bowls to please every palate, from Paleo to GF and LC to vegan to raw. They’re not only quick and easy to make but they’re GOOOOOD! So grab a spoon, and get ready to dig into a bowl full of yum.
1. Quinoa Pizza Bowls: Instead of crust, these pizza bowls call for quick-cook quinoa that’s layered with pizza sauce, pepperoni, green peppers, red onion and mushrooms. Then it’s topped with two kinds of cheeses. You can cook them in individual ramekins or one big casserole. Stick them under the broiler for a few minutes and brown that bubbling cheese to perfection. (via Gimme Some Oven)
2. Pizza Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers: If you love pizza and you love sweet red bell peppers, you are going to go *cray cray* for these mini pizzas. Hollowed out peppers are filled with all the yummy pizza fixings you desire. When they’re stuffed to the top, blanket them with molten cheesy goodness. (via A Spicy Perspective)
3. Pizza Polenta Bowls: This one’s for the vegans in the house! Creamy corn polenta is cooked up thick, then layered with homemade San Marzano tomato sauce. It calls for garlic, onions and green and red bell pepper, but add whatever pizza toppings you like. (via She Likes Food)
4. La Vita è Bella Pizza Power Bowl: The “crust” in this bowl is creamy polenta cooked with garlic, oregano, basil and olive oil. Sautéed mushrooms, spinach and a kick of yellow onion are added to the top. But the pièce de résistance is the warm, gooey, stringy vegan *cheese*. Seriously, it streeeeeetches. Check it out! (via Blissful Basil)
5. Easy Cauliflower Rice Korean Pizza Bowls: Did you do a double-take? This bowl combines two of our favorite cuisines — Italian pizza and Korean BBQ. Start with a base of cauliflower rice, add a layer of Korean BBQ-style browned beef and top with pizza sauce and a mountain of cheese. Pop it in the oven until the cheese melts and BOOM, gluten-free pizza for the win. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
6. Paleo Pepperoni Pizza Casserole: If a meat-lover’s pizza is your thing, then this is the bowl for you! Grass-fed beef and pepperoni are layered on top of spaghetti squash. Add the *cheeses* of your choice, and you are in for a world of flavor. This pizza bowl is so darn convincing, even super-picky kids will gobble it down. (via Tessa Domestic Diva)
7. Cauliflower Pepperoni Pizza Casserole: This bowl also starts with cauliflower, but this time it’s roasted for a sweet caramelized note. Layer in your favorite pizza toppings like black olives and pepperoni, then add cheese and bake ’til it’s golden brown. This bowl has all the comforting goodness of pizza, without the heavy crust and calories. (via Closet Cooking)
8. Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole: This bowl is like the creamiest full-fat mashed cauliflower you ever tasted, blended with pepperoni, mozzarella and pizza sauce. It sounds weird, but the mix of flavors is culinary magic. Spread it evenly in an oven-safe bowl and top with extra cheese and pepperoni. It comes out brown and bubbling with tastiness. Should you be lucky enough to have any leftovers, it tastes even better the second day. (via I Breathe I’m Hungry)
9. Slow Cooker Pizza Chicken: This one’s got all the flavors of pizza, but low-carb and cooked in a slow cooker. Nothing curbs carb cravings like protein, so this pizza-covered chicken bowl packs a punch. With just four ingredients, prep is a breeze. Just dump and go. Every night can be pizza night with a pizza bowl this easy. (via Smile Sandwich)
10. Supreme Pizza Dip: With all the charm of pizzeria pizza, this dip is made of cheese layered with pizza sauce layered with more cheese, pepperoni, sausage and veggies. Pita chips make a perfect crusty accompaniment, but low-carb and gluten-free chips will also get every bit of the same zesty goodness. (via A Spicy Perspective)
11. Pizza Spaghetti Squash: Individual squash halves are oven roasted, then the *spaghetti* innards are fluffed up with a fork. Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake until hot and bubbly. That’s it! It couldn’t be simpler. Everyone gets their own “pizza,” so there’s no fighting over toppings. Hurray for personalization. (via Iowa Girl Eats)
12. Bell Pepper Pizzas: Green-pepper cups become the edible bowls in this pizza bowl. They channel all the deliciousness of pizza with a healthy twist. Hand-held, they make perfect appetizers for parties and are portable for lunches. Who said pizza’s not a vegetable? (via Peas & Crayons)
13. Raw Mini Pizzas: Did you say raw pizza? Why, yes. Portabello caps make the perfect cups to hold all your favorite pizza veggies. The vegan tomato sauce is a divine blend of dates, tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes processed in a blender. Young Mexican coconut meat is blended with fresh herbs and raw vegan vinegar to make the “cheese.” Make a bunch, cause even the non-raw foodies will be lining up to try. (via Raw Is My Religion)
Are you bowled over by these healthy takes on your faves? There’s more. Follow us on Pinterest.