14 Healthy + Filling Winter Snack Recipes to Beat the Holiday Hangries
The best snacks are the ones that won’t leave you hungry or — even worse — suffering a sugar crash an hour later. Around the holidays, that’s a toughy — while those sugar cookies do have Santa’s name on it, you did bake ’em and probably deserve to savor one or two… right? Right! Delicious, but be sure to round out your holiday sweets cravings with other treats that will keep you on top of things through the new year, like these healthy + totally filling snacks.
2. Ricotta Plum Toast: There’s no doubt that toast is the tastiest snack — it’s carb-y and warm, and you can make it savory or sweet. Get a dose of protein from ricotta cheese and fruit topping with this fancy toast. (via Amy Sheree)
4. Spinach and Zucchini Muffins: Trade unhealthy ingredients like sugar and butter for eggs and veggies and you’ll get a muffin that will keep you full until your next meal. (via Bibby’s Kitchen @ 36)
5. Five Minute Coconut Oil Sriracha Popcorn With Nori: When it comes to popcorn, homemade is always better, especially when you add a salty, unexpected ingredient like nori. (via Root and Revel)
6. Roasted Sweet Potato Bites: Between holiday cookies, office potlucks and dinner parties, it’s a little harder than normal to get your veggie servings in this time of year. But not with this recipe that uses only four ingredients to get a heaping dose of Vitamin A. (via Food Faith Fitness)
7. Tahini Ginger Granola: Gingerbread isn’t the only way to eat ginger this holiday season. Use up that jar of leftover tahini – we know you still have it from the last time you made hummus – to make this yummy granola. (via Garden Fresh Foodie)
8. Sea Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips: If your go-to snack is something salty and crunchy, you’ll love these next-level, four-ingredient kale chips. Kale is in season right now, so grab a bunch at the farmer’s market — you have the other ingredients in your pantry already. (via Gimmie Some Oven)
9. Almond Cranberry Granola: Give the gift of delicious snacks this year by making a huge batch of this super-easy granola. Package it in mason jars and keep one for yourself to sprinkle on your afternoon yogurt when you’re stuck eating at your desk. (via The Healthy Maven)
10. Breakfast Bites: If you find yourself hungry between breakfast and lunch, grab a couple of these bites filled with healthy rolled oats, quinoa, dates and pumpkin seeds to hold you over until your next meal. (via My Fat Me Ania)
11. Lemon Pepper Roasted Chickpeas: Chickpeas are having a moment right now. Get in on the fun by making a batch of roasted chickpeas to snack on during the day. You can even use them as a salad or soup topping for lunch or dinner. (via The Healthy Maven)
12. Baked Green Bean Fries: Next time you’re craving a warm and comforting batch of fries as a snack, whip up a batch of these veggie “fries” instead. They’re the perfect excuse to eat an extra holiday cookie guilt-free. (via Damn Delicious)
13. Homemade Apple Chips: Don’t relegate your apples to yet another apple pie — turn them into a healthy snack instead. It’ll be a lot easier too: This sweet and crunchy treat only takes four ingredients. (via Yummy Healthy Easy)
What are your favorite ways to beat the Holiday Hangries? Share with us on Twitter @britandco!