9 Recipes That Prove There’s a Healthy Icebox Cake for Every Diet
Everyone’s going crazy for icebox cakes this summer, and we are too. They’re one of those retro desserts that were near-forgotten but are cool and new again. If you’re turning over a healthy leaf and, say, avoiding dairy or going gluten-free, Paleo or even raw, you might think a dessert that layers cookies with whipped cream or mousse would be completely off limits. But here’s some drool-worthy inspo that will happily prove you wrong. Scroll on down to find nine healthy icebox cakes that are totally guilt-free. They have all the deliciousness we crave in a sweet treat — minus the bad stuff.
1. Meyer Lemon and Blueberry Icebox Cake: Sweet and tart, creamy and crisp — this cake really has everything you could possibly want in an icebox cake, minus the dairy and gluten. There’s really no cooking involved since it’s made of raw pureés. And it’s so simple! If you can blend, you can pull this off. (via Beard + Bonnet)
2. Strawberry Icebox Cheesecake: This GF, DF, vegan and raw strawberry cheesecake is pretty in pink, and it’s made from totally guilt-free goodies, like whole fruits, dates and nuts. Unlike some dairy-free cheesecakes, this one holds its form when slicing — and when biting. Get ready to sink your teeth into utter decadence. (via Unconventional Baker)
3. Vanilla Bean Icebox Cake: This vegan, GF and DF delight is made with almond flour and coconut sugar. Coconut cream is whipped and layered between crisp GF cookies. It’s an incredible pairing, both creamy and crunchy. You can make the cookies from scratch, but any compliant store-bought kind will also work and make this dessert easy peasy. (via Dolly and Oatmeal)
4. Gluten-Free Lemon-Ginger Icebox Cake: Made with brown rice flour and other GF substitutions, this lemon-ginger layered dessert tastes just like the real thing. The layers of cookies become deliciously sweet and soggy when chilled in the fridge — like a cookie that’s been dunked in cold milk. The Meyer lemon’s curd provides just the right zing to balance the sugar. (via Only Taste Matters)
5. Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Icebox Cake: Chocolate and peanut butter are two tastes that go great together — and this dessert proves it. The crust is made of oats, while dairy has been replaced with cashew creme, so it’s GF and DF. Go on, splurge a little! (via Beard + Bonnet)
6. Vegan Coconut Lemon Jam Icebox Cake: Made of whipped coconut cream layered with jam and vegan cookies, this icebox cake will send your tastebuds soaring. The recipe for scratch-made cookies is included, but you can substitute any vegan cookie. (via The Kitchy Kitchen)
7. Chocolate Eclair Icebox Cake: Sweet vanilla pudding is folded into whipped cream, then layered between graham crackers and topped with chocolate. This delicious eclair cake is paleo and GF, but you’d never guess it. It’s sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. (via Deliciously Organic)
8. Raw Vegan Strawberry Coconut Icebox Cake: Just as delicious as Grandma’s strawberry icebox pie, this version is also healthier in every way. Raw and vegan, it’s made with a pureé of fresh-picked organic strawberries, layered over cashew cream and resting on a crunchy “crust” of dates and nuts. Cold and sweet, it will satisfy your every craving. (via Free People)
9. Deep Dish Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake: Holy chocolate and peanut butter heaven! This is an epic healthy cake if there ever was one. The crust is a mash of hemp seeds, flax seeds, cacao and dates while the filling is a blend of bananas, cashews and cacao, with some peanut butter and raw chocolate swirled in for good measure. Cacao nibs and hemp seeds top it all off. Raw really doesn’t get any better than this. (via This Rawsome Vegan Life)
Are you drooling over these healthy icebox cakes? There’s more. Follow us on Pinterest.