We are all about quick and easy DIY home projects, and no update is faster than grabbing a can of paint and changing up a piece of furniture or a room’s walls. The right finish can easily remake old furniture into brand new masterpieces. This year, we’re loving the high-gloss, lacquered look for every room, from our kitchens to our entryways. It’s a small way to make a big statement. And here are 11 ways this trend can easily be done in your own home.
1. Entryway Statement: If you want your guests to be wowed by your impeccable design style before they even set foot into your home, use a lacquered finish on your front door. It’s guaranteed to make a great first impression. (via Design Chic)
2. Bright Backsplash: A glossy yellow kitchen backsplash is the perfect way to add a bright spot to a modern, neutral kitchen. Make it stand out even more by using a matte finish on your cabinets for an eye-catching contrast. (via Design Milk)
4. Bold Built-in: When you have a hulking built-in storage system taking up a lot of space, it can easily make the room feel crammed and heavy. Using a bright, glossy paint can turn any clunky storage system into a fun statement piece. (via Martha Stewart)
5. Colorful Cabinets: Decorating with bright colors in the kitchen almost seems like an unwritten design rule. In keeping with tradition, we are all for using a fun color like tangerine on simple cabinets for a quirky twist. (via Design Milk)
6. Shiny Seats: Painting your dining room or kitchen chairs in complementary colors with a glossy finish will ensure that your eating area is anything but boring. It’s a re-imagined take on classic wooden chairs. (via Remodelista)
7. Minimalist Design: A minimalist room can be expected to feature three things — hard lines, neutral colors and simplicity. Why not do the unexpected and add a high-gloss shine to your kitchen cabinets and island to reflect the sunlight and magnify the space? (via Home Bunch)
9. Metallic Planters: Whether they’ll be holding cacti, carnations or calla lilies, no one will be able to take their eyes off of these metallic plant pots long enough to even notice the plants inside them. (via Gardenista)
10. Painted Floors: If you’re over the traditional hardwood floor look, try painting your floors in a geometric design and finishing it off with a lacquer glaze. It will instantly update any room for a sleek, modern look. (via Spruce Austin)
11. Sleek Stairway: The staircase may be more function than form, but that doesn’t mean it should be neglected in our redecorating plans. A can of glossy black paint is all you need to make this part of your home just as beautiful as the rest. (via Remodelista)
Is the high gloss trend something you’d be willing to try in your own home? Let us know in the comments below!