Sidelined from Sochi due to injury or complete athletic inability? Us too, so let’s fake it by making it with a roundup of some of our favorite metallic DIY projects to bling out your life. We don’t recommend chomping down on any of these though, not even the gold ones.
2. Ring Necklace: Turn an old t-shirt into a necklace using brass rings in our super simple tutorial. For the Olympic version, tear up tees in red, white and blue or the color palette for whatever country you’re rooting for. (via Brit + Co.)
5. Monogrammed Tray: Confession: We’ll monogram just about anything. Make it metallic, like this chic, preppy accent and we’re in love. Using disposable trays, you could make cheaper versions for your Opening Ceremony celebration too. (via Teal & Lime)
8. DIY Brass Figurines: Make your own little metallic menagerie by shining up plastic toys with a can of spray paint. Get your gilded zoo really going with our gold animal tutorial for making wine toppers, swizzle sticks, place card holders, pushpins — oh my!) (via Hi Sugarplum!)
9. Spray Paint Straw Baskets: Leave it to Martha to bring on the bling in the classiest way possible. Originally from the pages of Ms. Stewart’s mag, this easy home upgrade will clock you in at less than 35-bucks-a-basket. (via Remodelista)
10. Gold iPhone Case: It don’t matter if it’s black or white — when it comes to your smartphone these days, it’s all about metallics. If the gold iPhone still isn’t in your possession, make your own! (via Brit + Co.)
11. Gilded Bottles: Do we love gold-accented glassware a little too much? Yup, we’re gilt-y. These bottles were glammed up with candy wrappers from the craft store, but we wonder if we could kill two birds with one stone and eat a bag of Reese’s to gather the material. (via A Subtle Revelry)
12. Copper Tubing Statement Jewelry: Okay, so maybe copper isn’t technically a medal you can win in the Olympics. It’s still shiny! Plus, these were all crafted from inexpensive goodies found at the hardware store. Sounds like a perfect ten to us. (via Brit + Co.)
14. Gold Honey Bear Vase DIY: We always knew those honey bottles were just an upcycle waiting to happen. You might have to host a tea party to get to the end of the one you’ve had hanging around for years, but we can help with that. (via A Beautiful Mess)
15. Wire Jewelry: Who needs calling cards with your Twitter handle proudly displayed around your neck? Use wire to craft the jewelry box of your dreams from ear (knot stud earrings!) to wrist (love that love bracelet!) to finger (you’ll never forget with a bow ring)! (via Dream a Little Bigger, Domestocrat and Brit + Co.)
16. DIY Foil Cards: Get the power of King Midas in your printer thanks to foil and create anything from blinged-out birthday cards to business cards that will stand out in the bunch. (via How About Orange)
19. Sharpie-Painted Leather Wallet: Bust out your metallic Sharpies to bring some bling to boring pieces in your closet. This leather wallet is an easy project — but don’t let us stop you there. We have 29 other ideas for things you can write all over! (via …love Maegan)
Have a favorite metallic project you want to fill us in on? Share it below!