Warm Up Your Holiday Parties With This Cute DIY Hot Cocoa Bar Chalkboard Sign
With so much going on this time of year, it’s easy to get stressed out and anxious. You’ve gotta get presents for everyone on your list, decorate the tree (and the rest of your home) and figure out what the heck everyone is going to eat. It wouldn’t be the holidays without some great food (and great people). We’ve put together this little project for you so that you can not only reassure your holiday guests that they’ll have something yummy to look forward to but show off your artsy chops as well. For all the hot chocolate (or other hot beverage) lovers out there, we’ve got an adorable DIY chalkboard sign for you to make.
Trust us, you’re going to want to download this 17-page chalkboard sign design guide that we created with the help of chalk lettering lover Valerie McKeehan of Lily + Val.
If you haven’t done chalk art since you were a little kid with a box of chalk and a sidewalk, or you just want to brush up on the craft, you can enroll our Intro to Chalk Lettering online class today! You’ll learn everything you need to know to get started, including:
- How to choose lettering styles for your layout
- How to draw san serif, serif and script letters in chalk
- How to add embellishments, flourishes and dimension to your design
Plus, once you enroll in the class, it’s yours to access whenever!
MATERIALS FOR PROJECT
- Chalkboard (16 x 20 size is ideal for this project)
- White anti-dust chalk
- Pencil sharpener
- Microfiber cloth
- A pencil eraser
- Cotton swabs
- Felt eraser
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROJECT
1. If your chalkboard is brand new, season it before beginning by rubbing your chalk over the whole board and then erasing. Now you’re ready to start!
2. Draw your guides lightly on the board with a ruler so you can make sure your design stays properly aligned.
3. Draw your banners using double S-curves, slightly staggered (so they aren’t right above each other).
4. Connect the banners and add the tails. Looking good!
5. Draw the mug and add the two curved lines where the words “warm up” will go.
For full instructions, download the guide above!
Nothing warms the soul like hot drinks, beautiful art and good company. Happy holidays!
Share your final project with us on Instagram! Tag your photo @britandco and use the hashtag #bcholiday.