10 Hot + Cold Face Masks to Turn Up the Heat… Or Chill Out
Face masks are always there when you need them, ya know? There are masks for almost *any* skin issue out there. Whether you’re trying to take care of dry skin, acne, oily skin or a combination of ‘em all (in which case you should be multi-masking), face masks can be serious saviors for your skin. And what’s better than masks fixing a flare up while they make your skin feel good? This is where hot and cold face masks come in to supercharge your skincare game. There’s nothing like unwinding + de-stressing by putting a warming mask on your face, but it’s also equally as therapeutic (yes, face masks are a form of therapy ;) Here are 10 masks to consider if you’re in the market to heat things up or cool things down:
1. Bioré Self Heating One Minute Mask ($7): This mask is a great option if you’ve never tried a hot mask before, though it’s important to note that the heat on this one is never uncomfortable (I personally have used this one for years). It feels good and your pores will be purified, squeaky clean and totally revitalized after using this mask.
2. Soap & Glory No Clogs Allowed Self-Heating Detox Mask ($12): A seriously deep cleanse for your skin, this self-heating mask “melts away pore-plugging sebum and softens keratinised skin cells” so breakouts don’t stand a chance. This mask is fool-proof: It changes color from yellow to blue when you’re done.
3. Montagne Jeunesse Hot Spring Sauna Mask ($2): A $2, super powerful face mask? Sign us up ASAP — and give us a bunch of them, please + thank you. These masks contain volcanic spring powder and ginger, both ingredients that work wonders on clogged pores. Stock up on these, because your skin and wallet will thank you.
4. Sanctuary Deep Cleanse Facial Thermal Detox Mask ($17): Blast away oil with this hot mask. Kaolin clay and charcoal pull out gunk from clogged pores while the essential oil of myrrh provides a soothing quality to the skin.
5. Caolion Premium Hot & Cool Pore Pack Duo ($30): You’re getting a lot of bang for your buck with this duo, because you get a “steaming,” pore-opening mask and a cooling mask to shrink up your pores. The steam from the mask will ensure there’s zero makeup left behind in your pores.
1. The Body Shop Tea Tree Mask ($17): The tingly-cool sensation of tea tree oil will almost make you forget how much it helps your skin out too. The powerful stuff will fight blemishes and soothe the ones you already have. Best part of this mask? You’ll feel like you’re at the spa — seriously — because of its bright, minty scent.
2. Boscia Cool Blue Calming Mask ($24): Not only does this cooling mask feel great on your skin, but it’s a *peel-off* mask, which, in case you didn’t know, are definitely the most fun masks to use. There’s some weird satisfaction in peeling it off your face — it’s like you can imagine the grit and grime being de-gunked, one pore at a time. This mask is also a solid choice for sensitive skin.
3. Mila Moursi Cryo Serum/Ice Cube Infusion ($155): This super cool treatment will brighten, tighten and lessen the signs of aging — all while giving your skin a relaxing cooling feel. These “ice cubes” are actually stored in the freezer… as ice cubes would be… but then make their non-refrigerated debut as you swirl them around your face and neck as the serum is absorbed into your skin. Keep swirling until they melt. These aren’t the best for face mask beginners or for those with sensitive skin because the Cryo serum in this mask is super powerful — it could cause serious irritation if you use it on delicate skin.
4. Freeman Cucumber Peel-Off Mask ($4): Another peel-off mask, yay! This one is packed with cucumber and aloe to hydrate, smooth and get rid of skin that’s dulling your complexion. Your skin will be glow-y after using this one.
5. Tony Moly I’m Real Tea Tree Face Mask Sheet ($8): A sheet mask *and* cooling skin treatment in one, this set of two individually wrapped masks will transform your skin in 20 minutes flat. Green tea leaf extracts work as a natural anti-inflammatory for your skin, while jasmine + lemon ensure your skin is moisturized and soothed.
Have you ever used a hot or cold face mask? Share your experience in the comment section below.