5 Easy Ways to Prevent an Unwanted New Year’s Eve Kiss
You've just entered the party (bar, club, or ball-drop) and that person you ghosted two months ago is standing in the corner waving you over, there are 15 minutes until midnight, and you know they have a kiss on their mind. We know you want to stay and party, but you also want to avoid an awkward first moment of 2020 locking lips with a stranger or past fling. Here are five easy ways to get out of an unwanted New Year's kiss minutes before the clock strikes 12.
1. Fake a coughing fit. This may seem simple, but it's very effective. Who wants to kiss someone who's displaying signs of an infection? Start coughing around 11:58pm, so it's very clear that you're occupied trying to get it all out. *cough cough*
2. Blame your bladder. The bathroom is always the best place to hide from at any social event, NYE included. Dip in a few minutes early and ring in the new year with a perfect bathroom selfie showing off your 'fit.
3. Be someone else's photographer. Chances are there's at least one couple who's been selfie-ing and practicing their kiss all night; make some friendly conversation and offer to take their pic at midnight. If your admirer comes around while you're snapping the photo, give them a confetti popper or other prop to keep them busy. Can't lock lips if you're busy capturing someone else's moment.
4. Make yourself uncatchable. In other words, be overly celebratory of the new year. Make everyone think you're just an excited person and NYE is your fave holiday ever. Whether you're spastically jumping in the air or filling your arms with bubbly and sparklers, keep yourself moving closer to midnight.
5. Get a drink refill. Easy excuse: It's almost midnight, and it's bad luck to toast with an empty glass! Run to the bar and make small talk with someone else who's topping themselves off. Pour slowly to take up as much time as possible (you can explain your glacier-like speed by saying you're trying to minimize bubbles).
Share your worst NYE kiss stories with us on Twitter @BritandCo.
(Illustration via Casey Callahan)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)