5 Easy Ways to Be Healthy at Coachella and All Summer Music Festivals
The time has come, music and party lovers: Festival season is upon us. While you’re busy planning out your must-visit music festivals, packing up your modern outdoor festival blankets and finalizing your music festival style, keep in mind that just because you’re getting ready for a multi-day party, your health and safety shouldn’t take a backseat. Also, feeling your best will make the festival that much better. So before you dance the night away at Coachella or your other fave festival, follow these five expert tips to prepare for your healthiest and most thrilling festival yet.
1. Stay hydrated. It’s often really hot during outdoor festivals, and shade can be limited. Add to that the tendency to choose daytime beers instead of water, and you may start to crave all the not so healthy food around you. “Dehydration is problematic for food decisions because it affects mental alertness, boosts cravings for fat, salt and sugar, and can leave you feeling ‘empty’,” Edwina Clark, head of nutrition and wellness at Yummly explains. “Pack plenty of water and sip frequently throughout the day to prevent dehydration and cravings. Avoid being outside during the hottest part of the day, and stick to the shade whenever possible to minimize water losses.”
2. Soothe your pipes. “Your throat will surely need some soothing with all the singing you will be doing,” says Dr. Gabrielle Francis, a naturopathic doctor at The Herbal Alchemist. “Protect your throat throughout festival outings by packing throat lozenges or Singer’s Spray to coat the throat. The spray also contains anti-microbial ingredients that prevent infections. Don’t forget the lip balm either to protect your lips from dryness caused by the sun and wind.”
3. Eat a big breakfast. Don’t skimp on the first meal of the day, advises Abigail Kinnear, a dietician and blogger at Traveler’s Tuckshop. “I know it’s an age-old saying, but eating a big breakfast before a festival is a MUST. Dancing and walking around festivals for hours on end burns calories fast, and breakfast is the time to load up on essential calories before a long day. A great option is an egg scramble with protein (meat or vegetarian source) and vegetables, as this contains a balance of protein, carbs and fat to keep you fueled,” Abigail says.
4. Give your lower back a break. If you’re a regular concert-goer, you’ve likely felt like your lower back is on fire from standing too long in your fave strappy sandals with no support. “Prolonged standing at a music festival can lead to lower back pain. As your pelvis and core muscles begin to fatigue, the stress from standing rests in your lower back joints,” Dr. Ryan Curda, a chiropractor at Personalized Chiropractic, explains. “Take a few minutes every hour to stretch out your hamstrings and hip flexors, perform some air squats and take a seat in between sets.”
5. Sleep. FOMO may push you to stay up all night, but losing sleep can actually make your time awake at the festival less fun. “We want to party all night and all day, but sleep is one of the things your body desperately needs. If you don’t get the right amount of rest, you may begin to feel worn out and develop irritable symptoms,” says physical therapist Kosta Kokolis. “Make sure to catch a nap as often as you can, whether in a tent or a car, to ensure that you’re ready for the weekend extravaganza. Remember, sleep will make you hear the music clearer, the lights more vivid and will let you enjoy all the fun the concert has to offer.”
Tweet @BritandCo to let us know which festival you’re hitting up this summer!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)