Hot or Not? 15 Accessories for Your iPad
The utility of the iPad is always up for debate. Is it a reading tool? Is it a gadget for watching movies on long cross-contintental flights? Is it a virtual photo album? An awesome touchscreen gaming tool? Or is it just pretty to look at?
Here at Brit + Co, we think the iPad is all of these things… and more. What we’re not sure about is all of the accessories that keep popping up, purporting to make the iPad more awesome. Here are 15 such items up for discussion – let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
1. iPad Easel (in production): First up, the iPad Easel. This art-inspired stand comes complete with conductive art supplies making it fun and easy for kids to play around with, and the back is a dry-erase board for more analog creations.
4. Tripod & Windshield Mount Kit ($25): This handy kit includes a mount kit so that you can attach your iPad to your windshield or to a standard tripod. The windshield option seems extremely dangerous – the iPad is not a small device. The tripod part of this is cool, but you still need to be a tripod to attach it to.
5. Pix & Stix ($25): Ok this one is pretty awesome. This set of musical iPad awesomeness includes two conductive drumsticks and a conductive guitar pick, letting you turn your iPad into a drum set or guitar. It’s definitely on the extremely nerdy end of the spectrum, but we dig it.
6. iPad Bed & Lap Stand ($30): This funny little bean bag cozies right up to your iPad to keep it standing up when you want to watch a movie on your bed or couch. We love that the bag part of it doubles as a storage area for headphones, power cords, and what not.
8. SynthStation Keyboard Controller ($269): For the musically inclined, this keyboard comes complete with an iPad dock allowing you to use your iPad to read music, record music, and even video tape yourself rocking out on the keys.
9. iPad iBed ($13): At first glance, we were into this lap desk. On second look, we have a hard time believing that it would actually keep your iPad upright unless you have heavy things on the desk part. Perhaps that is why this is not currently available on Amazon or even the manufacturer’s website?
10. Torino Grey Side Table ($199): We’re not calling this an essential, but we do love the fact that you can keep things charging seamlessly inside the table. Maybe a hack on existing side tables is in order?
12. iConvert Scanner ($100): If you scan documents all the live long day, this is actually a pretty awesome device. It fits easily on any desk and makes scanning a much more seamless process than trying to wirelessly connect to a printer/scanner at the other end of your office.
14. iPad Table ($1,700): This. Is. Bonkers! $1,700 for a table designed exclusively for your iPad? While we think it’s a cool idea, it is definitely not hot enough to drop that kind of cash. Sorry iPad table!
15. iPotty ($40): And last, an oldie but a goodie. The iPotty! What more is there to say but please pass the TP?
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.