Morning Buzz! Prince Philip’s Surprising Retirement Announcement + More!
Prince Philip surprised everyone by announcing he would retire, and May the Fourth celebrations have already started for Star Wars Day! Read this and more in today’s news.
1. Prince Philip announced his retirement after a top-secret late night meeting. Royal watchers were biting their nails late last night as news spread that there was an “emergency meeting” regarding Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace. While many feared the worst, it turns out that the 95-year-old monarch has decided to retire from public life. Fun fact: Philip is the longest-lived and serving member of the British royal family ever.
2.Jimmy Fallon celebrated May the Fourth with a hilarious new video. The fourth day in May has become a day to celebrate Star Wars (get the pun, May the Fourth… be with you!) and loads of celebs get in on the action. Jimmy Fallon decided the best way to celebrate Star Wars Day was to create this hilarious mashup. Good luck getting this song out of your head.
3. The real reason Fyre Festival was such a disaster? Misspent funds. According to a reporter for Vice News, the infamously terrible Fyre Festival was a disaster because organizers spent all the money they had renting private jets and yachts and paying models. Talk about poor financial planning.
— Big Star Sandwich Co (@bigstarsandwich) May 3, 2017
4. This B.C. restaurant posted a sign saying Liam Neeson could eat for free without knowing he was already in town shooting a movie. Talk about a good sport! The staff at Big Star Sandwich in New Westminster, British Columbia wrote “Liam Neeson eats here for free” on their sandwich board and didn’t realize that the star was, in fact, in town shooting his new movie Hard Powder. Of course, he got a free sandwich out of the deal.
PSA: you can backspace on the iPhone calculator pic.twitter.com/sBJMlANDNJ
— CENSORED dialogue (@censoredialogue) May 3, 2017
5. There’s a way to backspace on your iPhone’s calculator and no one knew about it until now! According to some intrepid users online, all you need to do is tap the numbers or swipe right to backspace. No more restarting equations again!
6. Quote of the day: “Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom.” Queen Elizabeth II
Do you celebrate May the Fourth? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo via WPA Pool/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)