Morning Buzz! Prince Philip’s Surprising Retirement Announcement + More!
Prince Philip surprised everyone by announcing he would retire, and May the Fourth celebrations have already started for Star Wars Day! Read this and more in today’s news.
1. Prince Philip announced his retirement after a top-secret late night meeting. Royal watchers were biting their nails late last night as news spread that there was an “emergency meeting” regarding Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace. While many feared the worst, it turns out that the 95-year-old monarch has decided to retire from public life. Fun fact: Philip is the longest-lived and serving member of the British royal family ever.
2.Jimmy Fallon celebrated May the Fourth with a hilarious new video. The fourth day in May has become a day to celebrate Star Wars (get the pun, May the Fourth… be with you!) and loads of celebs get in on the action. Jimmy Fallon decided the best way to celebrate Star Wars Day was to create this hilarious mashup. Good luck getting this song out of your head.
3. The real reason Fyre Festival was such a disaster? Misspent funds. According to a reporter for Vice News, the infamously terrible Fyre Festival was a disaster because organizers spent all the money they had renting private jets and yachts and paying models. Talk about poor financial planning.
4. This B.C. restaurant posted a sign saying Liam Neeson could eat for free without knowing he was already in town shooting a movie. Talk about a good sport! The staff at Big Star Sandwich in New Westminster, British Columbia wrote “Liam Neeson eats here for free” on their sandwich board and didn’t realize that the star was, in fact, in town shooting his new movie Hard Powder. Of course, he got a free sandwich out of the deal.
5. There’s a way to backspace on your iPhone’s calculator and no one knew about it until now! According to some intrepid users online, all you need to do is tap the numbers or swipe right to backspace. No more restarting equations again!
6. Quote of the day: “Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom.” Queen Elizabeth II
Do you celebrate May the Fourth? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo via WPA Pool/Getty)