Morning Buzz! Fans Think Jay-Z’s New Album Is a Direct Response to Beyoncé’s “Lemonade”
Jay-Z’s new album is here and Corinne Olympios’ BIP investigation is over in this morning’s top news stories. Check those and more out in the TGIF Morning Buzz!
1. When Beyoncé released the amazing Lemonade, many presumed it to insinuate that husband, Jay-Z, was being unfaithful. The album even launched the now infamous Beckygate witch hunt, which had fans clamoring to find out the identity of his would-be extra-marital partner. The two, now parents to twin newborns, are obviously still going strong, but on Jay-Z’s new album 4:44, it sounds like he’s finally addressing everything from his suspected cheating on Bey (who also appears on the album), to that infamous fight with Solange in an elevator. The album’s title track is particularly telling, with lyrics such as, “And if my children knew, I don’t even know what I would do. If they ain’t look at me the same, I would probably die with all the shame. You did what with who? What good is a ménage à trois when you have a soulmate? You risked that for Blue?” Jay himself was vague about song meanings in an interview with iHeartRadio, but its streaming the album for free all day today before being hidden behind a Tidal paywall, so you’ve got lots of time to dig in and listen for yourself. (h/t USA Today; photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
2. Corinne Olympios’ Bachelor in Paradise investigation has concluded.BIP recently resumed filming after Warner Brothers closed their investigation and found no misconduct, but Corinne Olympios and her lawyer moved forward with their own investigation into the matter. Now, she has issued a statement saying the investigation has been completed to her satisfaction. She also clarified that she “never filed complaints or accusations against anyone associated with Bachelor in Paradise,” but based on the fact that she had no recollection of what transpired and that she felt “victimized by the fact that others were judging me through conflicting and unsubstantiated reports,” she wanted to see the investigation through. Olympios said that while she was invited back to BIP when production resumed, she respectfully declined. (h/t E!; photo via Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty)
3. Venus Williams was involved in a fatal car crash. Days before she is set to start in Wimbledon, it has been revealed that Venus Williams was involved in a car crash that resulted in a death earlier this month. The NYT reports that a 78-year-old man being driven by his wife was injured in the accident, and that he died two weeks later. The Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, incident is under investigation, and police said in a report on the crash that Williams was at fault. Her lawyer, Malcolm Cunningham, maintains that she has not been cited or charged. “Ms. Williams entered the intersection on a green light,” Cunningham said in a statement. “The police report estimates that Ms. Williams was traveling at 5mph when Mrs. Barson crashed into her. Authorities did not issue Ms. Williams with any citations or traffic violations. This is an unfortunate accident, and Venus expresses her deepest condolences to the family who lost a loved one.” (h/t New York Times; photo via Al Bello/Getty)
4. Jared Padalecki’s sweet letter to his kids is the feel-good read of the weekend. Supernatural and Gilmore Girls star Jared Padalecki penned a post-Father’s Day note thanking his three children for turning his world upside down — in the best way possible. In fact, his wife Genevieve Cortese was so taken with the letter, she posted it on her blog for all of us to share in. “I realize Father’s Day was supposed to be about…. well… ‘fathers,'” he wrote, “but I wanted to take this opportunity, after my FIFTH fathers day (and counting), not to say ‘you’re welcome,’ but to say ‘thank you.'” Padalecki listed things that by all means could be awful (“You’ve peed on me, pooped on me, and vomited on me”), before offering up more special, meaningful moments. “You’ve taught me more than any mentor or teacher ever could,” he says. “I have your back. Now and always.” SNIFF. Grab your tissues and dive into the whole thing right here.
5. The Jumanji remake trailer is here and Jack Black plays a teenage girl. In the first official trailer for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, we see Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan become avatars for the high school kids playing the weird old Jumanji video game. Frankly, just hearing Jack Black say “I can’t even with this place,” already has us sold. It’s not out until December 22, but check the trailer out above!
6. Quote of the day: “I too look forward to the day when the numbers are different.” Gillian Anderson calls out the fact that the X-Files writer’s room is made entirely of men, finishing with a timely #TheFutureIsFemale.
Do you have any weekend projects planned? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)