If you tossed up your rock on fingers for 5 Seconds of Summer’s live performance, dusted off your shoulders during T.Swift’s “Shake It Off,” or put yo’ hands up when Bey took the stage, you might have noticed that *your* nail art might not have matched your fervor for all-things VMAs. Luckily you need only turn to your favorite rock stars for nail inspo straight from the red carpet. Scroll through to snoop the 10 raddest manis of the award show and learn how you can DIY the look — finger + arm candy included!
1. Gwen Stefani: Gwen piles on the finger bling with sets upon sets of stacking rings ($15) but keeps the look rock star-chic in all black. Mimic the glare of those rocks on your nails by painting on a high-shine nail lacquer ($18).
2. Ingrid Nilson: You’ll never guess that Ingrid’s ombre nails are SO easy to DIY! Grab your pink + purple polish shades, like Essie’s Sittin’ Pretty with The Lace is On (both $8.50), and make sure you have rhinestones — or even confetti! — + a setter at bay ($1 for the tool), then get the look in just five minutes using this nail hack.
3. Ireland Baldwin + Angel Haze: We’re taking pointers from both of these beauties done up digits here, starting with Ireland’s fierce stiletto nails ($10), which give any look instant rock star edge. Top it off with a stone statement ring ($95) ala Angel’s opal stunner.
4. Katie Stevens: Katie’s to-die-for red lacquer might be the most enviable shade of the night. Amp up the glamour by rocking Louboutin’s on your finger tips with CL’s exclusive polish in The Noris ($50) and top off the look with a mixed ring set ($30).
5. Rachel Anatoff: Rachel takes pretty in pink to a whole new level with this fresh mani — copy the look with Deborah Lippmann in P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) ($18) + DIY a personalized bracelet using wire and chain.
6. Jill Rose: Jill shows just how awesome your digits can look when you mix old school polish with new school wraps. Stick on a bold pattern like Scratch’s Patchwork Wonderland ($12) set and amp up an accent nail or two with major sparkle using a glitter polish like Essie’s chunky Set in Stones ($8.50).
7. Brandi Cyrus: It’s not Brandi’s black polish that caught our eye, rather it’s her all-rock-everything accessories like spiked mid rings ($6) and even her finger tats — for you, the little temporary kind ($5) — that made us want to steal her style (and maybe even stick out our tongues like her lil sis).
9. Victoria Justice: We’re obsessed with Victoria’s neon everything look. Paint on a camera-ready shade like Obsessive Compulsives Cosmetics’s Anime ($10) and be sure to carry a clutch ($29) that’s just as #wowworthy: DIY your own using black vinyl letters ($6).
10. Kiezsa: You can go for the gold just like Kiezsa without whipping out nail polish at all! Gold leafing like the kind you use for your decor DIYs will give you a standout metallic mani, though it wouldn’t hurt to slip on a just-as-shiny statement ring ($88), too!