14 Must-Read Adult Fiction + Non-Fiction Books Out in June
What pairs perfectly with a sweet rooftop bar, a refreshing boozy slushy and colorful statement sunglasses? An awesome summer read, of course! Sure, you could always grab that dusty copy of Moby Dick you’ve been telling yourself you’re going to read for years, but we think it’s time to mix it up with something a little trendier. Here are the 14 must-read adult books that hit the shelves this month.
1. I Almost Forgot About You: A Novel by Terry McMillan ($18): We’ve all thought about quitting our day job, moving out of our grungy apartment and living the high life for a while — but for Dr. Georgia Young that dream is a reality. Terry McMillian slays it again in this heartwarming tale.
2. Foreign Agent: A Thriller by Brad Thor ($20): If you’re looking for one of those books you end up staying awake until 2am reading, check out Thor’s latest thriller. Following the exciting life of CIA contractor Scot Harvath, Thor’s epic telling of an international terrorism play has all the trimmings of a classic nail biter.
3. The Girls: A Novel by Emma Cline ($16): Everyone is talking about the debut novel from youngster Emma Cline, and for good reason. 1960s meets charming cult leaders meets the intricacies of growing up… let’s just say it’s definitely worth the investment.
4. Vinegar Girl: A Novel by Anne Tyler ($19): This isn’t your grandmother’s Shakespeare. With eccentric scientists, pre-school drama and enough LOLs to keep you belly-laughing throughout, this The Taming of the Shrew adaptation will make you a fan of the Bard yet.
5. They May Not Mean to, but They Do: A Novel by Cathleen Schine ($17): A brilliant novel on the complex pathos of growing older, this inter-generational story is both hilarious and heartfelt at the same time.
6. Sex Object: A Memoir by Jessica Valenti ($20): Girlboss columnist, superstar author and women’s rights advocate Jessica Valenti explores modern sexism in this tell-all that every woman should read at least once.
7. The Girl from the Savoy: A Novel by Hazel Gaynor ($9): Are you missing a little Great Gatsby glamour in your life? Check out the latest from Hazel Gaynor — not only will you be completely immersed in a jazzy spectacle from the first page, but the underdog storyline will leave you rooting for Dolly Lane’s dreams like she was your bestie.
8. One True Loves: A Novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid ($9): If you read this title and thought to yourself, “Hey wait; isn’t that’s a typo?” I have two things to say to you. One, we should be friends. Two, Taylor Jenkins Reid’s heartwarming tale of a choice between two loves might just convince you otherwise.
9. Every Little Step: My Story by Bobby Brown and Nick Chiles ($21): R&B fans and pop culture junkies, rejoice! In his much-anticipated memoir, Bobby Brown details everything from the highs of his career to his media-frenzied marriage to Whitney Houston.
10. Black Man, White House: An Oral History of the Obama Years by D.L. Hughley ($18): If you’re looking for a serious analysis on the Obama administration, this probably isn’t the book for you. The newest addition from rockstar comedian D.L. Hughley is a satirical and hilarious take on Obama’s last two terms. It’ll make any fan of late night TV roll over with laughter.
11. The Space Between Sisters: A Butternut Lake Novel by Mary McNear ($9): Fans of the Butternut Lake series will swoon for McNear’s latest novel, set during the dog days of summer. A classic tale of sisters with opposite personalities, this light read pairs perfectly with a mai tai, a lightly swaying hammock and a beautiful summer sunset.
12. Love Wins: The Lovers and Lawyers Who Fought the Landmark Case for Marriage Equality by Debbie Cenziper and Jim Obergefell ($21): Using insider accounts never previously publicized, this definitive history of the Supreme Court case that legalized gay marriage in all 50 US states is not to be missed.
13. Marked for Life by Emelie Schepp ($21): From the brilliant, dark mind of Nordic crime author Emelie Schepp comes this police drama tailor-made for fans of Law and Order: SVU. Told from the tragic mind of public prosecutor Jana Berzelius, it’s a gut-wrenching story about a haunting past that just might make you sweat.
14. Barkskins: A Novel by Annie Proulx ($22): Following the incredible success of Brokeback Mountain and The Shipping News, Annie Proulx’s must-anticipated epic is definitely worth the wait. Spanning numerous generations over three hundred years, Proulx’s masterwork is ecologically relevant and beautifully told.
What are you reading this June? Tweet us a pic by mentioning @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured image via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.