It doesn’t matter if you got the best sleep ever the night before or how much of a protein-packed lunch you had at noon — sometimes you hit that 3pm slump feeling tired and hungry, fiending for sugar and caffeine in a major way. Thankfully, there are lots of healthy ways to fix the midday slump and satisfy your snack tooth at the same time. So put down that office kitchen pastry and read on for five nutritionist-approved healthy snack options.
1. Superfood Sea Salt Trail Mix: Neka Pasquale, Urban Remedy founder and certified Chinese nutritionist, says she loves this trail mix recipe because it’s low-glycemic, and packed with protein and antioxidants so it’ll keep your blood sugar balanced. Plus, it’s easy to make and perfectly portable!
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup dried goji berries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins or dried currants
- 1/2 cup dried coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
In a large bowl, toss together all of the ingredients until well mixed. Transfer the mix to small zippered plastic bags.
Makes about 4 1/2 cups (8 oz/250 g)
2. Cashews and Dried Apricots: “My favorite snack is raw, unsalted cashews with a few dried apricots,” Gillean Barkyoumb, the Millennial Nutritionist and registered dietician, says. “The fat from the nuts fills me up and the sugar from the apricots satisfies my sweet tooth and gives me energy.”
3. Sprouted Toast, Vegan Cream Cheese, and Kimchi: Andrea Nordby, head chef at Purple Carrot, a plant-based meal delivery service, says she prefers “a slice of whole grain or sprouted toast with vegan cream cheese and kimchi. This snack is rich with good carbs and satisfying umami flavors, has healthy bacteria, and is loaded with vitamins A, B, and C.”
4. KIND Bars: Lyssie Lakatos, RDN, CDN, CFT, and one half of the Nutrition Twins, gives a major shout-out to KIND bars for a mid-afternoon snack. She says, “My two go-tos are their Dark Chocolate Almond Mint and their Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt flavors. They feel indulgent and are the perfect way to satisfy a chocolate craving in a healthy way, since they’re made from whole nuts and flavored with delicious spices! I also love that they have five grams of sugar or less with five to six grams of protein and four to six grams of fiber, so it keeps me satisfied so I’m not looking for something else to eat soon afterward.”
5. Pistachios: Lakotos’ sister (and the second Nutrition Twin), Tammy Lakatos Shames, likes to keep it simple after an afternoon workout with a handful of in-shell pistachios. “They’re savory, tasty, and nutritious, and they hit the spot when I want a satisfying crunch!” She especially digs the Sweet Chili 100-cal packs of Wonderful Pistachios and adds that “pistachios are one of the nuts that are highest in fiber and protein, so they really are satisfying and keep me from getting hungry.”
Do you have a healthy snack hack you love? Tweet us @BritandCo to share your favorite healthy snack!
(Photo via Getty)