The world watched in horror last Friday night as a group of terrorists carried out a series of orchestrated attacks in Paris. Bombings and shootings left 129 victims dead and 352 wounded, with 99 in critical condition. It’s hard to comprehend what could lead to such terror, devastation and death — and a flurry of articles and arguments have arisen in the wake of the tragedy. But rather than get derailed by all the debates and the noise, it’s important that we recognize that in the midst of crisis, humanity still exists. Around the world, people lit candles in vigils, fell silent for the victims and paid their respects to the fallen and the injured. We rounded up 14 reactions that will hopefully let the French know they are not alone.
1. Manila, Philippines: People gathered outside of the French embassy on November 16 for a candlelight tribute for the people of France. Many carried signs that read “Unity for Humanity” and “Peace for Paris.” (Photo via Dondi Tawatao/Getty)
2. Sydney, Australia: In Sydney, folks gathered outside of St. Mary’s Cathedral to pay their respects. Landmarks around the world, include the Sydney Opera House, have also been lit up with the red, white and blue of France’s tricolor flag in tribute to the French people. (Photo via Lisa Maree Williams/Getty)
3. Washington, D.C.: Crowds gathered, lit candles and even wore the French flag on their faces at Lafayette Square outside the White House on Saturday, November 14. (Photo via T.J. Kirkpatricks/Getty)
4. Hong Kong: French ex-patriots and the people of Hong Kong gathered and comforted one another Saturday night after the attacks. (Photo via Xaume Olleros/Getty)
5. Berlin, Germany: Outside of the French Embassy in Berlin, a young Muslim woman lights a candle to commemorate the victims of the attacks. Eight Muslim organizations in Germany came together to issue a joint statement condemning the Paris attacks. (Photo via Carsten Koall/Getty)
6. Seattle, Washington: Last night, NFL player Cliff Avril of the Seattle Seahawks ran onto the field with a French flag before the game. Prior to the national anthem, everyone observed a moment of silence for France. (Photo via Steve Dykes/Getty)
7. Milan, Italy: In Milan, people lit candles and left flowers and signs in the Piazza Fontana. This sign reads, “We answer the terrorism with Freedom, Equailty, Fraternity” and is printed on the French flag. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
8. Melbourne, Australia: Mourners also gathered on November 16 at Federation Square in Melbourne to express their support for the people in Paris. (Photo via Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)
9. Seoul, South Korea: A South Korean woman prays at a candlelight vigil outside of the French Embassy in Seoul. #PrayForParis also trended on social media after the attacks. (Photo via Chung Sun-Jun/Getty)
10. London, U.K.: In London, after the attacks, people assembled in Trafalgar Square to honor the victims of the tragedy. Several countries in Europe joined France in observing three days of national mourning. (Photo via Rob Stothard/Getty)
11. New York, New York: On Saturday at Washington Square Park in New York City, people held up signs and flags, like this adorable little boy here, to stand in solidarity with Paris. (Photo via Andrew Renneisen/Getty)
12. Auckland, New Zealand: Folks in Auckland, New Zealand also gathered to hold vigil for the innocents harmed and casualties of the attacks. (Photo via Hannah Peter/Getty)
13. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Mourners lit candles and comforted one another in Brazil on the Sunday following the attack. (Photo via Mario Tama/Getty)
14. Paris, France: Outside of Le Carillon restaurant, one of the scenes of last Friday’s terror attacks, in Paris, France, people left a sea of flowers, candles and notes. (Photo via Christopher Furlong/Getty)
Do you have any stories or sentiments you’d like to share? Tell us in the comments below!