14 Queso Recipes Just in Time for Football Season
Fall means changing leaves, sweaters, apple cider and mouthwatering pumpkin treats. More importantly, it means football season and most importantly it means (drumroll please) insanely decadent tailgating snacks. While there’s nothing like a giant plate of nachos or juicy chicken wings, there’s just something about a gooey, spicy bowl of queso that gets us every time. It’s the comfort food we dream about long after football season is over. Read on for our creamiest, cheesiest, meltiest queso picks.
1. Classic Slow-Cooker Queso: It doesn’t get more traditional than this. Inspired by Chili’s famous dip, this queso contains Velveeta cheese and canned chili. It’s as tasty as the real deal, and now you can enjoy it on the sofa while cheering on your team. (via Creme de la Crumb)
4. Hot Sauce Queso: For those who like a little spice in their life, check out this recipe for an extra hot dip. Simply add in your favorite hot sauce and be sure to have plenty of cold beer on hand to wash it down. (via Brit + Co)
5. Skillet Black Bean Queso: Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to pack an extra punch into your queso, this black bean version is here for you. Spoiler alert: This recipe uses cream cheese to make everything extra creamy. We’ve died and gone to queso heaven. (via Peas & Crayons)
8. Vegan Queso: We never thought a vegan “cheese” dip could be so velvety and creamy until we met this one. Eggplant is the star player in this super healthy alternative, and we can’t get enough. This one is also delicious with freshly baked pita chips. (via Minimalist Baker)
9. Creamy Queso With Chorizo: This dip gives you the best of both worlds: super creamy cheese dip matched with spicy savory chorizo sausage. Stock up on ingredients, because your guests will be begging for a second batch by halftime. (via Bon Appétit)
10. Pumpkin Queso Fundido: For the ultimate seasonal treat, take this pumpkin version for a spin. Plus, you have an excuse to add the extra festive touch of serving it in a pumpkin bowl. (via Food Network)
11. Roasted Broccoli and White Cheddar Queso Fundido: If you ever found yourself wishing that broccoli-cheddar bake had just a little more of the cheddar part, then this queso is for you. A generous dose of garlic and shallots gives this dip an extra flavor boost. (via Spoon Fork Bacon)
12. Butternut Squash Goat Cheese Queso: Roast butternut squash until it’s all caramelized, tender and sweet and blend it with tangy goat cheese. Since it’s mostly veggies, you can basically call this dip a salad. Yes, that means it’s totally fine to eat it for dinner. (via How Sweet It Is)
13. Leftover Turkey Queso: Football is the ultimate Thanksgiving tradition. Now this queso can be too with this recipe. In fact, it’s so good that you may find yourself making turkeys all year long. (via Brit + Co)
What are your go-to Sunday football indulgences? We want to hear about them! Tell us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.