7 Services Designed to Keep Up With Your Busy Life
For many of us, 2017 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2018! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
We get it: Your schedule is crazy with a capital C. What with juggling relationships and staying healthy and picking up momentum toward officially becoming the boss you so obviously already are at the office, there are very few free moments left to be invested in other things — whether those other things are want to’s or have to’s. Who has time to maintain regular manicures, constantly track a budget, and strive for the holy grail that is inbox zero… while still maintaining a basic level of sanity?
The truth is that you probably do have that time buried in between the bullet points on your jam-packed weekly to-do lists. For decades before us, busy women juggled life and love and work and health without the help of technology — and if we’re to believe the things we’ve been told about “the good old days,” they probably didn’t do a lot of complaining while they were at it. Fortunately for us, though, technology has now afforded the development of an entire industry of services dedicated to making our lives more convenient and (slightly) less stressful. Here are seven such services that you should definitely check out if you’re feeling spread a little too thin.
1. Glamsquad: You’re running at a million miles per hour every day, and suddenly you realize that you have somewhere to be and your hair can’t keep looking the way it looks. Glamsquad is a great solution to this problem. Download the iOS app and you’ll be able to schedule an at-home appointment with a hair, makeup, or nails professional who’s both talented and vetted. Schedule a Glamsquad session for a date night for you or line up pros for a full bridal party on your wedding day.
2. Luxe: No one has time to endlessly circle their destination looking for a free parking space. (And if you’re running late, then you literally have no time.) Luxe — now available in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York, but already starting to expand — allows users to alert the service where they’re going, triggering the arrival of a professional valet who can then park their car in a secure lot. You can even request a wash or gas refill for an added premium! When you’re ready to call it a night, you simply tell Luxe that it’s time for a pickup.
3. Wag!: There may be days when you feel like your schedule is too packed to allow for a nice, long walk for your dog, but guess what? Fido doesn’t care. Check out Wag if you often find yourself scrambling for a minute (or ten) to take your pooch on a stroll. Dog owners who use the app on iOS or Android can find and reserve qualified walkers and sitters on demand with time to spare, or on a recurring basis. You can also track your canine’s walk via GPS and get updates on whether or not they accomplished what they were supposed to accomplish (ahem) on said spin around the block.
4. Mint: Don’t have time to organize your receipts and maintain a budget by hand? No worries. Try Mint! The financial tracking tool lets you see all of your financial indicators — balances, bills, credit score, and more — in one simple interface. The more accounts you link to your Mint account, the more information you can access. With additional details, Mint can automate an ideal budget for you, taking out the guesswork that we know is constantly stressing you out.
5. Blush: The chaos of our lives is often exactly the thing that drives us to need therapy — and yet that chaos is also often the thing that makes it a challenge for us to make time to seek the listening ear that we so desperately need. Online life coaching service Blush offers you the opportunity to talk with a professional coach (in most cases, these coaches are licensed counselors or therapists in addition to being life coaches) via private video chat or digital journaling. A girl’s gotta take care of her mental health.
6. Boomerang: How much time do you spend (read: “waste”) dealing with your infinitely dynamic email inbox? We’re willing to bet that the answer is a lot. Boomerang for Gmail is essentially an extension of your existing email account that gives you a handful of incredibly useful tools for managing and streamlining the messages that are coming in and out (all. the. time.). With Boomerang, you can schedule emails to go out later on, hide emails currently sitting in your inbox so that they come back as new mail when you’re actually ready for them, and pause the flow of incoming mail so you can catch your breath. Boomerang even has the Respondable feature — a virtual assistant that uses AI to predict for you how likely your message is to garner a response.
7. Simple Habit: Even the busiest person needs a minute (or five) for themselves. Simple Habit is free app that provides five-minute meditations designed around different moods and situations. It may be hard to squeeze in an hour-long yoga class every day, but we’re pretty sure you can squeeze in at least a few minutes in your day to find your zen, whether it’s right when you get out of bed or while you’re commuting, eating, or in between meetings.
What services do you use to stay sane in the chaos of everyday life? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.