Spring Cleaning 101: 11 Things to Toss from Your Bathroom NOW
Cleaning is not exactly anyone’s top pick for how to spend free time, especially when the days are getting longer and a little bit sunnier. But in the spirit of getting our places shiny clean for the summer months ahead, we’ve tapped organization guru Jeffrey Phillip to give us the lowdown on what exactly needs to go during your spring cleaning frenzy. And in true lazy-girl fashion, we’re breaking it down room by room to make the whole ordeal a tiny bit less painful. Jeffrey got our spring cleaning closet and pantry to-do lists in top form, and now we’re ready to tackle the ever-intimidating bathroom.
No matter how much of a pro you might be in the organization sector, there are undoubtedly some items sitting in your home that need to be purged, like yesterday. The bathroom tends to be a little oasis for gathering clutter, but Jeffrey lays out exactly what you can throw away without feeling the tiniest twinge of guilt. Plus, you’ll gain some major drawer real estate, which is a huge plus when you buy some fresh new spring makeup. See all of the must-toss items below, and get ready to tackle this bathroom project in the coming week.
1. Any Expired Medication and Prescriptions: There is no need to hang onto drugs that have expired. And those ugly orange containers aren’t adding anything to your bathroom style.
2. Beauty and Perfume Samples: Yes, free handouts are awesome, but if you have no intention of using them, it’s time to say goodbye. If you’ve had them for longer than 6 months, you are likely not going to use ’em.
3. Half Used Products That You Haven’t Touched in the Last Three Months: It’s inevitable that as warmer weather rolls around, holiday scents become less and less appealing. If you have gingerbread spice bath gel and peppermint conditioner still sitting around unused, make room for new products by purging the old stuff.
4. Expired Makeup and Crusty Lotions: Yes, makeup does go bad and if you can’t remember when you bought that tube of mascara, that probably means it’s time to let it go. Ditch any half-used lotions that you don’t love the scent of while you’re at it.
5. Stained Bath Towels: Still hanging on to that towel you used to clean up your hair dye mess? And the ones that have nail polish on them? It’s time to delegate them to rag status, or get rid of them altogether.
6. Old Brushes and Hair Accessories: Brushes missing bristles, combs missing teeth and elastic hairbands that have lost their stretch all fall into this category. Buh-bye, sad hairbrush!
7. Old Makeup Brushes: Even if you have a dedicated makeup brush care routine, it’s inevitable that they’re going to start showing their age. If there are a few brushes that you never use anymore, make space in your makeup drawer by getting rid of them.
8. Gross Toothbrushes: Hopefully you’re in the habit of replacing your toothbrush regularly, but if you haven’t gotten around to it yet, make sure you switch out those winter bristles for a shiny new toothbrush.
9. Curlers You No Longer Use: If you have long since discovered the secret to Pinterest-perfect curls or how to wake up with gorgeous messy curls, then it’s time to lose those giant curlers and gain some serious drawer real estate.
10. Excess Travel Toiletries: It’s always nice to have a couple three-ounce bottles of shampoo and conditioner on hand for your travel needs, but no one needs a drawer full of free hotel soap.
11. Hairdryer or Any Electronic Device With a Frayed Cord or Busted Casing: Let’s be real here: Curling irons get dropped, cats gnaw on cords and devices start looking just a little tired. Ditch any electronics that aren’t up to par, and treat yourself to a new curling iron or hair dryer as a reward.
Ready to purge that bathroom? Follow us on Pinterest for more organization tips and hacks!