15 Sun-Washed Clothes to Channel Your Inner Cali Girl
Say bye-bye to your slew of winter whites and hello to an uplifting spring palette that’ll make you want to break out the transitional spring coats and floral frocks. While we’re always game for a pretty pastel dress for spring, this season we’ve got our sights set on sun-washed clothing for a throwback California aesthetic. Think: chalky coral distressed chinos or a dusty pink t-shirt that looks as though it’s been faded by the sun (or pre-washed to perfection). ‘Cause what could be better than a rugged, worn-in sweatshirt channeling serious beach vibes — especially when the temps still feel like winter? Scroll down for 15 sun-bleached essentials that will inspire you to adopt a more laid-back ‘tude this spring — and inject a major color punch to your wardrobe.
1. ASOS Weekday Original V-Neck T-Shirt ($16): Between the oversized fit and the retro mustard hue, this lightweight V-neck tee is practically made for lounging. Tuck it into a pair of high-waisted jeans, or toss it over a bikini come spring break.
3. Wilfred Free Tolstoi Knit Top ($125): You can start wearing this seasonless knit top made from Italian yarn right now. The spring-y palette consisting of subdued pastels, coupled with a contemporary silhouette, can be styled with trousers and a cardigan as temperatures thaw. Once warmer weather hits, pair it with a button-front skirt and slides.
4. Scotch & Soda Lightweight Quilted Jacket ($195): Enter the perfect transitional jacket that will give you an excuse to swap out your wool parka STAT. This sun-kissed peach topper would look best styled with white boyfriend jeans or playful pom pom shorts.
5. Forever 21 Contemporary T-Shirt Dress ($23): It’s hero pieces like this olive sun-washed t-shirt dress that make getting dressed in the morning a cinch. Pair it with white canvas sneakers and a baseball cap for a low-key weekend ensemble.
6. Topshop Petite Super-Soft Sweater ($48): Luxuriously soft material? Check. Perfectly worn-in look? Double check. Infinitely chicer than a snuggie (but just as comfy), this pale pink pullover can be styled on the fly with jeans or joggers for an on-point look.
8. Wilfred Free Vivienne Dress ($85): This un-fussy slip dress in a light blue wash is what lazy girl dreams are made of. Wear it out the door with a streamlined blazer and mirrored oxfords for a look that will take you from desk to drinks — no costume change required.
9. Mara Hoffman Drop Crotch Pant ($128): As it turns out, a rainbow of sun-bleached hues is 10 times prettier than one. For an upcoming yoga sesh or beach day, wear these MC Hammer-inspired pants with a sorbet-hued sports bra and some Birks.
11. Pilcro Stet Chino Capris ($88): Round out your spring capsule wardrobe with a pair of these trusty chinos that come in an array of sun-washed hues (pale red! moss green!) perfect for every spring occasion. Wear ’em with a lightweight sweater now and a silk blouse come April.
12. Madewell Chimala Chambray Baggy Trousers ($298): Meet your new favorite borrowed-from-the-boys (but better) trousers. These khaki green pants have been faded and washed to achieve just the right worn-in look. Roll up the hems, and toss on a chambray shirt + boat shoes for an off-duty look that doesn’t mess around.
14. Zara Top With Buttons at the Back ($30): Ditch the form-fitting silhouettes for this boxy, pale blue-green top that’s the epitome of laid-back chic. The fringed hem and cuffed sleeves call to mind spring afternoons spent soaking up rays at the arboretum.
15. ASOS Jacket in Cropped Length in Distressed Wash ($60): This weathered denim jacket, featuring an ultra-relaxed fit and frayed edges, will be right in line with your bohemian sensibilities. For a Coachella-inspired look, team it with a lace dress and fringed booties.