5 Fall Superfoods That Should Be on Your Radar
We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that we all need to drink more water. As for as the rest of it, figuring out the best foods to eat can be a little tricky, especially with with all the new health trends out there. Luckily, we’ve done the research to figure out which foods you should be eating and why. Check out these superfoods that are oh-so hot right now and you’ll be munching your way to a healthier you in no time.
1. Dandelion Greens: Move over kale, there’s a new green in town. Dandelion greens are full of all the good stuff: iron, calcium, riboflavins and vitamins A, K, E and C. There are even some claims that this powerhouse green helps control inflammation and offers anti-cancer agents. The greens can be bitter, so balance them with a little fat such as olive oil or toasted nuts. They’re delicious as a simple sauté, or in this wild rice and dandelion green salad. (via Brooklyn Supper)
2. Cauliflower: This veggie is another one that packs a mighty punch. Along with its cruciferous cousins like broccoli and kale, cauliflower contains high levels of potassium and vitamin C. It also provides a nice boost of folic acid. Plus, it’s low in calories, making it a great swap for pasta in comfort foods. Be sure to check out the orange and purple varieties too. This purple cauliflower and green coconut curry is as pretty as it is healthy. (via Spiralized)
3. Black Rice: Meet the new “it” grain. Black rice is chock-full of fiber and anthocyanin, a special antioxidant that may be linked to decreases in cardiovascular disease. Due to its recent popularity, black rice is also much more widely available, so go ahead and eat up! We’re excited to start the day off with this coconut black rice pudding. (via My New Roots)
4. Dark Chocolate: We will never get tired of anyone telling us to eat dark chocolate. It’s one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet. A square or two of the good stuff will do the trick, or you could go crazy with these dark chocolate oatmeal cookie bars. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Fermented Foods: Beer, wine, sourdough bread, pickles, yogurt and cheese — sound like a good list? These are all fermented foods and they help promote healthy digestion and immune systems. Because they are so rich in enzymes, they enable us to absorb more nutrients as we are eating. We especially love these foods because they’re so easy to incorporate into your regular diet. This peach and kefir smoothie is a great way to get on board the fermentation train. (via Aggie’s Kitchen)
What superfoods make you feel fabulous? Tell us in the comments, below!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.