5 Fall Superfoods That Should Be on Your Radar
We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that we all need to drink more water. As for as the rest of it, figuring out the best foods to eat can be a little tricky, especially with with all the new health trends out there. Luckily, we’ve done the research to figure out which foods you should be eating and why. Check out these superfoods that are oh-so hot right now and you’ll be munching your way to a healthier you in no time.
1. Dandelion Greens: Move over kale, there’s a new green in town. Dandelion greens are full of all the good stuff: iron, calcium, riboflavins and vitamins A, K, E and C. There are even some claims that this powerhouse green helps control inflammation and offers anti-cancer agents. The greens can be bitter, so balance them with a little fat such as olive oil or toasted nuts. They’re delicious as a simple sauté, or in this wild rice and dandelion green salad. (via Brooklyn Supper)
2. Cauliflower: This veggie is another one that packs a mighty punch. Along with its cruciferous cousins like broccoli and kale, cauliflower contains high levels of potassium and vitamin C. It also provides a nice boost of folic acid. Plus, it’s low in calories, making it a great swap for pasta in comfort foods. Be sure to check out the orange and purple varieties too. This purple cauliflower and green coconut curry is as pretty as it is healthy. (via Spiralized)
3. Black Rice: Meet the new “it” grain. Black rice is chock-full of fiber and anthocyanin, a special antioxidant that may be linked to decreases in cardiovascular disease. Due to its recent popularity, black rice is also much more widely available, so go ahead and eat up! We’re excited to start the day off with this coconut black rice pudding. (via My New Roots)
4. Dark Chocolate: We will never get tired of anyone telling us to eat dark chocolate. It’s one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet. A square or two of the good stuff will do the trick, or you could go crazy with these dark chocolate oatmeal cookie bars. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Fermented Foods: Beer, wine, sourdough bread, pickles, yogurt and cheese — sound like a good list? These are all fermented foods and they help promote healthy digestion and immune systems. Because they are so rich in enzymes, they enable us to absorb more nutrients as we are eating. We especially love these foods because they’re so easy to incorporate into your regular diet. This peach and kefir smoothie is a great way to get on board the fermentation train. (via Aggie’s Kitchen)
What superfoods make you feel fabulous? Tell us in the comments, below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)