5 Fall Superfoods That Should Be on Your Radar
We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that we all need to drink more water. As for as the rest of it, figuring out the best foods to eat can be a little tricky, especially with with all the new health trends out there. Luckily, we’ve done the research to figure out which foods you should be eating and why. Check out these superfoods that are oh-so hot right now and you’ll be munching your way to a healthier you in no time.
1. Dandelion Greens: Move over kale, there’s a new green in town. Dandelion greens are full of all the good stuff: iron, calcium, riboflavins and vitamins A, K, E and C. There are even some claims that this powerhouse green helps control inflammation and offers anti-cancer agents. The greens can be bitter, so balance them with a little fat such as olive oil or toasted nuts. They’re delicious as a simple sauté, or in this wild rice and dandelion green salad. (via Brooklyn Supper)
2. Cauliflower: This veggie is another one that packs a mighty punch. Along with its cruciferous cousins like broccoli and kale, cauliflower contains high levels of potassium and vitamin C. It also provides a nice boost of folic acid. Plus, it’s low in calories, making it a great swap for pasta in comfort foods. Be sure to check out the orange and purple varieties too. This purple cauliflower and green coconut curry is as pretty as it is healthy. (via Spiralized)
3. Black Rice: Meet the new “it” grain. Black rice is chock-full of fiber and anthocyanin, a special antioxidant that may be linked to decreases in cardiovascular disease. Due to its recent popularity, black rice is also much more widely available, so go ahead and eat up! We’re excited to start the day off with this coconut black rice pudding. (via My New Roots)
4. Dark Chocolate: We will never get tired of anyone telling us to eat dark chocolate. It’s one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet. A square or two of the good stuff will do the trick, or you could go crazy with these dark chocolate oatmeal cookie bars. (via Half Baked Harvest)
5. Fermented Foods: Beer, wine, sourdough bread, pickles, yogurt and cheese — sound like a good list? These are all fermented foods and they help promote healthy digestion and immune systems. Because they are so rich in enzymes, they enable us to absorb more nutrients as we are eating. We especially love these foods because they’re so easy to incorporate into your regular diet. This peach and kefir smoothie is a great way to get on board the fermentation train. (via Aggie’s Kitchen)
What superfoods make you feel fabulous? Tell us in the comments, below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.