The 10 Easiest Things to Do After You Drink Too Much
Everyone knows that the holidays are prime time to imbibe, but after one too many hot toddies or glasses of Champagne, we can wake up feeling, well, like crap. And while there’s no magical hangover cure — obviously, the best thing you can do is prevent a hangover in the first place — there are a few ways to make the a.m. a little more pleasant. So the next time you indulge in a few too many drinks, try these hangover hacks to alleviate the pain of post-drinking fatigue, headache and nausea.
1. H20: Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it causes your body to lose a lot of liquid (not to mention valuable electrolytes). Much of what we think of as a hangover is really just dehydration, so be sure to guzzle water before you drink, while boozing, before bed and when you wake up in the morning.
2. Pain Reliever: Ibuprofen (Advil) will help with your headache and is shown to reduce inflammation. Take two right before you go to bed, even if you aren’t feeling the effects of that open bar yet — it will work wonders overnight. Steer clear of acetaminophen, which can cause liver problems when mixed with alcohol.
3. Hot Water & Lemon: One of the best ways to beat a hangover? Hot water and lemon! This duo is uber detoxifying — exactly what you need after a long night.
4. Seltzer: No, not Champagne — although some people claim the hair of the dog helps. We mean a carbonated beverage. Fizzy drinks like seltzer, club soda or ginger ale can help alleviate nausea and settle an upset stomach.
5. Sports Drinks: Sports drinks rehydrate and replenish electrolytes lost during drinking. Just opt for one that isn’t loaded with sugar, which can actually make you feel worse.
6. Bananas: Bananas are loaded with potassium and electrolytes to replace what you lost during your boozy bender. Added bonus: They can help settle your stomach. Oh, and they’re also super tasty.
7. Milk Thistle: Milk thistle is said to be a godsend for hangovers. HUM Wing Man ($25) contains milk thistle, dandelion root and artichoke leaf for a comprehensive liver detox.
8. AShower: Taking a cold (or even lukewarm) shower can turn things around for you in no time. Just be sure not to turn the temp up too high or you can risk getting lightheaded, dizzy or nauseous.
9. Fresh Air: Whether you take a stroll around the block, go for a brisk walk, take a light jog or simply open the window, getting some fresh air can help clear your head. Hard as it may be to drag yourself out from under the covers, you’ll be glad you did.
10. Sleep: The only real cure for a hangover? Time. Accept that today might not be the most productive and try to sleep it off. You’ll feel better and more rested when you wake up in a few hours.
Follow us on Pinterest for the most health and wellness tips.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)