9 Ways to Transition Your Favorite Summer Dresses for Fall
Once fall fashion makes an appearance in stores (you know, in — WTF — mid-July), it becomes hard — okay, nearly impossible — to not totally obsess over all the new fabulous fall stye trends coming your way. You needed a pair of velvet heels and a suede trench, like, yesterday. That said, your favorite summer pieces still have so much to give, so don’t pack them away just yet. Transitional dressing is all about reimagining summer essentials for fall, using clever layering tactics and new-season staples to give your duds a cool-weather edge. Because you have better things to do (like bum on the beach) than spend hours finding the perfect long-sleeve tee to pair with your go-to denim pinafore, we’re showing you a few easy-peasy ways to usher your arsenal of summer dresses into fall. Scroll on for nine effortless outfit ideas that will earn you a few extra style points like that.
1. Zara Double Strap Dress ($36) + Mango Textured Striped T-Shirt ($35): Bare shoulders are a given when the thermometer reads a balmy 85 degrees, but once blustery fall days start to settle in, all bets are off. Don’t let this strappy summer dress fool you: This ditsy floral number does double duty like a boss, pulling overtime like it ain’t no thing when styled alongside a coppery knit turtleneck top. Reach for a pair of pointed-toe ankle boots, a shearling-lined jacket and your favorite berry lipstick for a new season #OOTD that’s straight-up swoon-worthy.
2. Madewell Chambray Lace-Up Shift Dress ($110) + Topshop Half Moon Sweat by Boutique ($85): Chambray dresses epitomize summer, which just might make you question their post-Labor Day viability, but the good vibes don’t stop with the waning of lazy beach days and chilled-out barbecues. Tap into the athleisure trend to get more wear out of your favorite denim frock by sporting a vibrant cutout sweatshirt, high-top sneakers and a luxe leather backpack. Consider this your unofficial lazy-girl uniform.
3. Rodebjer Blue Dina Dress ($525) + Zara Shiny Fabric Bomber Jacket ($70): A scene-stealing graphic dress like this is simply too good to keep under wraps. Bust out the bling a la this fierce gold bomber to spice up your off-duty wardrobe and send this DDG midi dress straight into fall-approved territory. Style it with fresh white sneakers for an afternoon of shopping with the girls, or glam it up with embellished heels for a hot date on the dance floor.
4. Pixie Market Bell Sleeve Off the Shoulder Dress ($49) + & Other Stories Rib Knit Top ($29): Not just restricted to dinner by the seaside and Insta-worthy escapes to the Amalfi Coast, an off-the-shoulder dress works just as well for errand-running and on-duty adventures. Take it down the all-weather route with a knit top that’s versatile to wear both now and later. After-hours shenanigans on the agenda? Rock a pair of strappy Mary Janes and a statement bauble or two to the office, then shed your extra layer before hitting the town.
5. Mango Crochet Long Dress ($150) + Zara Oversized Jacket ($70): Calling all free-spirited femmes: You officially have permission to rock that dreamy crochet dress after the sun sets on summer. Tone down the beach-chic vibes with a structured shacket that exudes retro appeal and a pair of classic combat boots for unlimited street style potential. The only thing missing? Don’t-care hair and a glitzy glam brooch with endless panache.
6. H&M Asymmetric Dress ($25) + Charles & Keith Kitten Heel Booties ($76): Don’t underestimate the power of a pair of ankle boots — especially a DDG pair like this. Trade out your resident gladiators for ladylike lace-up booties that are guaranteed to give basic tank dresses a sophisticated edge. When styled alongside a printed silk scarf and oversized cardigan, the result is nothing short of granny chic (which, in the case of fall 2016, is totally a good thing).
7. Warehouse Tile Print Shift Dress ($87) + Topshop Pleated Trouser ($60): Unpredictable fall weather might be too much for mini dresses and tunics to face on their own, but it’s nothing a pair of trend-right culottes can’t handle. Be it after-work drinks or a buzzworthy soiree, these glam gilded trousers are all you need to turn up the heat on a tile print shift. Pull out all the stops with mod mules, asymmetric earrings and a leather jacket that lends the ensemble just the right amount of French-girl cool.
8. Motel Magali Dress ($42) + J.Crew Gathered Popover in Indian Cotton ($70): Boring basics just aren’t your style — and that’s whether you’re kickin’ it on the weekend or getting your girl boss on. Skip the standard shift dress come Monday, and pair a strappy sun dress with a pretty printed popover for an on-the-job #OOTD that strikes the right balance of cool-girl-in-training and corporate chic. Throw in a pair of metallic platform Oxfords and a minimalist timepiece to take on that ever-growing to-do list.
9. & Other Stories T-Shirt Dress ($45) + Wilfred Crémazie Skirt ($95): Desk-to-dinner dressing is about to get a whole lot easier in the new season. Tuck a lazy-girl-approved t-shirt dress into a swanky suede pencil skirt, then go to town with the extras, layering on a statement collar necklace, a sleek cuff and embroidered ankle boots. Solidify your status as most stylish employee with an architectural tote bag and a sleeveless blazer.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.