What to Make This Weekend: Turkey Donuts, DIY Wreaths + More
Despite the oncoming holiday cheer, when the sun sets at 5pm it’s only natural to call upon the grizzly bear as your spirit animal and disappear into the couch for some serious hibernating. But before you fall into the black hole of Netflix this weekend, allow us to tempt you with some seriously cool DIY projects. Whether you want to make some pretty pieces of jewelry to rock this season or you’re in the mood to bake something turkey-inspired, we’ve got 10 projects that will keep you from going to bed at 8pm.
1. Pattern Play Coloring Book: Not to brag or anything, but this coloring book is pretty darn cool. Pick it up at Target and let your creativity flow all weekend long. All of the illustrations featured in Pattern Play are tearaways, so you can get them out of that coloring book and frame them as wall art or crop them down and send someone a card. (via Brit + Co)
2. Cornucopia Piñata: A cornucopia filled with candy is officially already our favorite thing about the holidays. Give a warm welcome to our newest DIY contributor Sam Ushiro and get ready to go gaga over her insanely adorable, bright and colorful (hmm, any surprise why we LOVE her here at B+C?) creations. (via Brit + Co)
3. Simple Geometric Wreath: This isn’t your typical holiday wreath, so you can totally get away with hanging it from Thanksgiving to New Year’s. It will take you less than thirty minutes to put together, but the minimal look is perfect for personalizing, whether you want to hang air plants or feathers on it. (via Sugar and Cloth)
4. Agate Pendant: The colder months usually mean a more somber wardrobe, so bring some color back with this vibrant agate pendant necklace kit. If you’re looking for fun and personalized bridesmaid gifts, these pendant necklaces are the perfect weekend DIY. (via Brit + Co)
5. Faux Taxidermy Ornaments: Get a head start on your DIY tree decor with these adorable mini animals. They’re easy enough that the kids can help you make them, but cute enough that you’ll want to hang them on the wall when the tree comes down. (via Jacks and Kate)
7. Wooden Wall Hanging: Wall hangings are having a bit of a moment — from yarn to weavings to macrame. If your walls are still missing one of these statement pieces, try a fun take on the look with a wooden version. Paint the popsicle sticks any color you want or leave them natural for a Scandinavian vibe. (via Nalle’s House)
8. Mudcloth Napkins: Holiday entertaining is just around the corner. If it’s your turn to host Friendsgiving, add some character to plain napkins with a trendy mud cloth pattern. (via Almost Makes Perfect)
9. Hand-Painted Dishes: Create a whole new table setting with some inexpensive white plates and a handful of Sharpies. You can take these dishes any artistic direction you want, but extra creativity points if you add a personal message or silly drawing on the back. (via A Beautiful Mess)
10. “Some like it Hot” Thermos: Use this free download or stencil out something completely unique to you. Then after you decorate your thermos you can fill it with something warm and cozy to drink. Tea latte anyone? (via Dream Green DIY)
Which of these DIY projects is your favorite? Tell us what you’re crafting in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)