5 Tips for Traveling With Your Boo from an Instagram-Famous Couple
When it comes to travel envy, couple Chanel Cartell and Stevo Dirnberger of How Far From Home take the cake. The couple met in 2010 and — after spending five years together and more than 15 years building successful careers in the advertising industry — decided to quit their jobs and travel the world together. Their wanderlust has taken them from their home in South Africa to Germany, Denmark, Australia, the US and just about everywhere in between. Along the way, they’ve posted pictures that show how far from home — in kilometers — their journey has taken them. Lucky for us, this cool couple has agreed to share all the tips and tricks you need to survive a lengthy trip away with your better half. So pack your travel essentials and gadgets, and get ready for the adventure of a lifetime.
1. Make compromises. Contrary to popular belief, leading a flexible vagabond lifestyle doesn’t mean you get to have it your way all the time. Chanel and Stevo say, “In fact, things will rarely go your way, so learning to accept that is vital. There’s also multiple ways of doing things, so know when to push for something, and know when to meet your better half halfway.”
2. Always put the other person first. Little things can make all the difference when you’re in foreign, high-stress situations. Whether it’s buying their favorite snack, carrying the heavier bag, or simply listening to their point of view, always put your partner first. If you both practice this advice, you’ll feel valued and loved all the time.
3. Communicate with each other, and don’t make assumptions. If you want something, be direct with your significant other and say it out loud. Don’t assume the other person understands what your funny facial expression meant or what your exhausted sigh implied. Telling your partner what you want or how you feel will ensure less confusion, less chance of a misunderstanding and more time to laugh.
4. Laugh with each other. Stop taking everything so seriously, and make having fun your daily priority. Ask your partner if they’re enjoying themselves. If it’s no longer fun for one of you, move on or change things up. Let excitement be your new relationship goal.
5. Take time to reflect. You’re on the trip of a lifetime, so take some time to stop and smell the roses. From Chanel and Stevo, “You’re lucky to be spending your time with the best person in the world (in your eyes). Look back often to see how far you’ve come together. You’ll get all the feel-goods in your tummy, and it will guarantee a couple of laughs.”
You can follow Chanel and Stevo’s journey on Instagram @howfarfromhome.
Are you and your boo packing your bags? Tag us in your adventures @BritandCo!
(Photos via @howfarfromhome.)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)