14 ’90s Hair Products You Can Still Rock Today
The ’90s have made a huge comeback as of late, from Kylie Jenner’s all-matte makeup look and brown lip to the resurgence of shaggy bangs and distressed denim à la Kat Dennings. We’re all pining after the beauty products of yesteryear that bring us back to the simpler and more glittery — hello, Bath + Body Works Glitter Lotion — times in our lives. We’ve reminisced about the beauty items we miss the most, and now we’re ready to tackle the killer hair styles and crazy products that adorned our tresses. Thanks to the Internet, you can party every day like it’s 1999.
1. Hair Bow Snap Clips ($11): Sure, bobby pins are much more subtle, but there’s something about snap clips that give you an extra level of comfort knowing that your stray hairs are not going to move. While a stellar supply of bobby pins is crucial — they always get lost! — these old-school hair accessories are just as dependable.
2. Manic Panic Hair Dye ($11): Manic Panic was magic in a bottle for girls looking to try out the grunge look, and the dye has made a comeback. Everyone from grungy girls and to mermaid hair gals is slipping this dye into their conditioner.
3. Daisy Hair Clips ($6): It’s hard to forget that iconic pic of Drew Barrymore with daisies in her hair. If you’re looking to channel your inner hippie, start with this hair accessory.
4. Butterfly Clips ($6): Nothing conjures up images of the ’90s more than Mary Kate and Ashely Olsen rocking butterfly clips. This is one of the products of yesterday that is no longer found on drugstore shelves, but Amazon is a wonderful thing.
5. Rave Products ($2): Whether it was Rave Hairspray or Rave Hair Gel, nearly everyone who grew up in our fave decade used this product to keep their hair in place. You can technically still get Rave thanks to the glories of the Internet, but tracking this product down in stores will be a bit more challenging.
6. Hair Crimper ($23): The crimping of the past totally led us to the loose mermaid waves we love today. Snag this sleek crimper for a modern take on the style — the larger barrels deliver a crimp that’s slightly looser and easier to style.
7. Herbal Essence ($3): The infamously racy television spots may be what started this brand’s buzz, but it’s the amazing scents that kept us going back for more. It’s still working wonders for hair all over the world.
8. Scrunchies ($6): Say what you will about scrunchies, but these little devils are excellent wrist wear and also protect your hair from tight ponytails. Rock ’em for a #throwback day with your fave flannel and bask in the old-school vibes.
9. Sun In ($11): Yep, this product is still available for gals looking to DIY their sun-kissed tresses. Relive the magic at your next pool hang and spritz to your heart’s content.
10. Conair Hot Sticks ($24): You may have felt ridiculous rocking Conair’s Hot Sticks in your hair, but your curl game was strong. Bring those giant spiral curls back with this easy styling tool.
11. Zigzag Headband ($3): Sure, the most popular headband of the decade could get lodged in your tresses, but it also kept your hair out of your face. For a modern use, slip this on while you’re applying makeup to keep your strands tamed.
12. Mane ‘n’ Tail Shampoo ($10): This shampoo was in the showers of all cool ’90s girls hoping to get thick locks. The formula is still making human hair grow faster and stronger than before, and what’s not to love about that?
13. Conair Topsy Tail Kit ($7): Yep, we still love a good topsy ponytail. Jazz up casual Friday with this look and you’ll be the talk of the office.
14. Twin-Bead Elastics ($8): These were one of the most popular ways to tie hair and add bright colors to your look, making it still a winner in our books!
Do you have a ’90s hair accessory that brings back fond memories? Tell us in the comments below!