13 Times Avocado Replaced Mayo and We Absolutely Loved It
Coming up with healthy ways to nosh at lunchtime can be HARD. Initially we feel like a bunch of geniuses; we’ve taken note of healthy hacks and we plan for tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad… until we realize that all of these salads call for the enemy: mayonnaise. (Obligatory facepalm!) But that’s exactly where the avocado comes in handy. There is *so* much more to the avocado than fancy toast, friends. Being the creamy and dreamy ingredient that it is, it’s a magical substitute for mayo that will give you the texture you long for without the big bad calories. Here are 13 times that avocado kicked mayo out of the lineup. Spoiler alert: Mayo was not missed.
1. Avocado Chicken Salad Wraps: If you’re on the hunt for an easy-peasy lunch or a light and low-carb dinner, these wraps are where it’s at. Not only is the mayo replaced with avocado, but the usual carbs are swapped for crisp lettuce cups. (via Domesticate Me)
2. Avocado Dill Vegan Roasted Potato Salad: Your aunt’s famous potato salad? Yeah, it can kiss the spotlight goodbye. There’s a new potato salad in town, and it’s much lighter in calories — without compromising on flavor. (via Edible Perspective)
3. 7-Ingredient Hasselback Sweet Potatoes With Avocado Aioli: Sweet potatoes have been owning the root veg world for a while, and there’s zero reason to wonder why. Their sweetness adds flavor to an array of recipes. Here, it’s drizzled with an avocado aioli that is absolutely irresistible. (via Blissful Basil)
4. Creamy Spinach Dip: Excuse us while we jump for joy, because we can now make dips that don’t go straight to our hips! This quick and easy spinach dip skips dairy and processed ingredients altogether. Hope your friends are down with double dipping, because it will be hard not to. (via Sweet As Honey)
5. Green Goddess Egg Salad: Egg salad always seems like a great lunch. Not only is it filling, but it gives you a nice dose of protein in the middle of the day. It’s just… that darn mayo. This avocado egg salad rectifies that, though. (via The Whole Bite)
6. BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich With Avocado Slaw: You can’t truly enjoy a BBQ sandwich without that crunchy slaw in the mix. You can toss it in an oil and vinegar base, but there’s no fun in that for those of us who love that creaminess. Enter: avocado slaw. The extra treat here is this BBQ jackfruit sandwich, which can be enjoyed by vegetarians and vegans. (via Carrots and Flowers)
7. Pasta Salad With Creamy Avocado Sauce: Pasta salad is a sought-after side dish at any potluck. The bummer is that with all the mayo used, even a simple serving can be full of unwanted fat and calories. Luckily, avocado sauce comes to the rescue yet again in this creamy bowl of goodness. (via The Garlic Diaries)
8. Avocado Deviled Eggs: If you love deviled eggs was much as we do, then you’re aware of the sad reality: You can’t just eat one. In fact, an unhealthy amount of eggs is typically consumed when these puppies are put out for the taking. At least with avocado, we can feel a little less guilty. (via 3 Yummy Tummies)
9. Healthy Avocado Tuna Salad: Whenever we’re trying to eat a little smarter, tuna salad seems like the way to go. The bummer about that, which we tend to forget, is that the mayo basically defeats the purpose. Luckily, you can replace the mayo with avocado, resulting in a healthy and creamy mix. (via Little Broken)
10. Slender Vegetable Dip With Avocado and Spicy Sriracha: Veggies and dip — solid choice! Unless that dip is ranch or blue cheese, which it usually is, and then that choice seems not so solid anymore. This slender veg dip is blended using avocados, however. So go ahead, shovel it in. (via Mother Rimmy)
11. Healthier Egg and Avocado BLT: It doesn’t matter if it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner — sometimes an egg BLT is the most perfect thing to feast on. Mayo sure does add a wonderful element of creamy to the crunch, but avocado will do you one better. (via Wife Mama Foodie)
12. Avocado Ranch Dressing: Ranch dressing — the reason most of us ate salads or crudités when growing up. Now that we’re older and wiser, we’ve trained ourselves to avoid it for the most part. Until now, that is, because avocado is making all of our wildest dreams come true. (via Eating Bird Food)
13. Avocado Oil Mayonnaise: We couldn’t possibly talk about avocados replacing mayonnaise without including an actual avocado mayonnaise. Make it on your own and use it as a regular condiment — you’ll never buy mayonnaise again. (via Reclaiming Yesterday)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy recipe ideas.