Warning: There are spoilers ahead for the Monday, March 5, season 22 finale of The Bachelor.
After what was considered by many to be a relatively dull outing, The Bachelor season 22 concluded in dramatic fashion on Monday, March 5, when Arie Luyendyk Jr. sent Lauren Burnham home and proposed to Becca Kufrin — only to change his mind a few weeks later.
What followed was an unedited, super-emotional, on-camera breakup, with Arie admitting to Becca — his fiancée — that he was still in love with the woman he had let go. It wasn’t a totally unprecedented move, of course — there have been plenty of dramatic endings in the show’s history. But that didn’t make watching it unfold any less uncomfortable. In fact, it was downright brutal.
Members of Bachelor Nation agreed, and were very vocal on social media about the cringe-fest.
1. Ben Higgins, who told both JoJo Fletcher and Lauren Bushnell that he loved them on his season 20 finale, tweeted his disbelief that Arie and Becca’s conversation ended up on camera. He then also wondered if it meant that he and Jason Mesnick — whose previous on-camera Bachelor breakup serves as Arie’s closest predecessor — were now off the hook.
2. Molly Mesnick shared her expertise, having been in this situation before.
3. JoJo Fletcher knew something was up. She later tweeted, “STOP.FILMING.HER.”
4. Vanessa Grimaldi, who ended her Bachelor engagement to Nick Viall last year, didn’t watch the season because of the anxiety it gave her, but tuned in for the finale — only to freak out.
5.Bachelorette season 7’s J.P. Rosenbaum said what SO many were thinking.
6.Bachelorette star Kaitlyn Bristowe agreed with Rosenbaum, sharing her disappointment in the show’s choice to air Becca’s humiliation.
7. Christen Whitney, from Bachelor season 21, joined the anti-Arie chorus.
8. While Bachelorette‘s Diggy Moreland was one of the overwhelming number of people speaking out in support of Becca.
9. Many, including Bachelor season 20 alum Caila Quinn, praised Becca’s poise.
10. Sean Lowe, who proposed to (and is now expecting a second child with!) Catherine Giudici on season 17 of TheBachelor, detailed his wife’s breathless reactions. Catherine, for her part, shared her own shocked and speechless video.
11. Evan Bass, another Bachelor success story, was left explaining the finale to his nine-year-old son. Not an enviable position to be in!
Arie was (understandably) slammed in his Instagram comments following the finale, but, hey, we can’t say he didn’t warn us. He admitted early on that he fell in love with two women during his time on the show. But that didn’t make watching the devastation any easier.
It’s not over just yet — on Tuesday, March 6, at 8pm ET on ABC, part two of the finale will air with a reunion between Becca, Arie, and Lauren.
What did you think of the Bachelor finale? Let us know @BritandCo.
(photo via ABC/Paul Hebert)