10 TED Talks to Watch for Some Major Career Inspo
Whether you’re dreaming of moving up the corporate ladder at your current gig or you’re considering a career pivot, finding and landing your dream job is no easy task. Luckily for us, the Internet is filled with much more than cat Vines and fail vids (although, we do love a good summer Pinterest fail). Inspirational folks from across the globe have teamed up with TED to share meaningful advice on everything from going back to school to how to push your creativity to the next level. Get ready to be inspired by 10 of our favorite career TED Talks.
1. The Career Advice You Probably Didn’t Get by Susan Colantuono: Fighting for a promotion in a dog-eat-dog business environment is tough, especially when you’re missing out on some critical information. Susan Colantuono, founder of Leading Women, a consulting firm dedicated to closing the gender gap in the workforce, reveals the secret sauce you need to move up the ranks at work in this empowering talk.
2. Five Ways to Kill Your Dreams by Bel Pesce: Combining personal stories with practical advice, Bel Pesce lists everything you shouldn’t do when pursing your dream job, from believing in overnight success to blaming your failures on someone else. By the end of this six-minute talk, you’ll learn the importance of persistence and self-confidence.
3. Embrace the Near Win by Sarah Lewis: An art historian and critic, Sarah Lewis learned a valuable lesson at her first job that springboarded an entirely new way to look at setbacks. While working at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), she studied the work of artist Elizabeth Murray and quickly realized that not every painting was a masterpiece. Heck, even the artist herself agreed. But, as Sarah candidly points out, those near failures aren’t something to be ashamed of, they’re actually the very key to our eventual success.
4. Why the Best Hire Might Not Have the Perfect Resume by Regina Hartley: Before you scrap that cashier’s gig from your resume, listen to HR executive Regina Hartley’s ten-minute lecture. Speaking to a room full of business professionals, Regina argues that resumes that show someone has conquered adversary (AKA all those summer jobs you took to pay for college) spotlight exactly the type of person a business should hire.
5. Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are by Amy Cuddy: In this famous talk about body language and posture, Amy Cuddy divulges the true secret to being confident in the workplace. According to her research, body language not only shapes how people perceive us in job interviews and meetings, but it also shapes how we feel about ourselves. Watch this to learn how to improve your confidence and feel more powerful.
6. The Happy Secret to Better Work by Shawn Achor: Half stand-up routine, half genius career advice, this TED talk by the CEO of Good Think Inc. reminds us that being happy at work actually inspires us to be more productive.
7. The Power of Time Off by Stefan Sagmeister: Every seven years, Stefan Sagmeister takes a year sabbatical to refocus and rejuvenate his mind. But before you roll your eyes and mutter that you couldn’t possibly do that, just listen to how it has radically changed his life and career.
8. Inside the Mind of a Master Procrastinator by Tim Urban: If you are a procrastinator, you need to watch this video. Stat. Diving into the mind of a master procrastinator, this hilarious and insightful talk will make you realize just how dangerous procrastination is — especially when it comes to finding your dream job.
9. My Year of Saying Yes by Shonda Rhimes: The #girlboss titan behind Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder decided to say yes to everything that scared her for an entire year. The result? Well, let’s just say Shonda got her groove back.
10. Why Some of Us Don’t Have One True Calling by Emilie Wapnick: If the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” still gives you anxiety as an adult, don’t fret. According to multi-professional Emilie Wapnick, it’s okay to jump between interests and careers. In fact, it might actually be good for you.
What is the best career advice you’ve ever received? Tweet us your stories @BritandCo.
(Photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.