17 Hilarious Pinterest Fails You Might See This Summer
We’ve all been there: You’ve found the perfect Pinterest project, gathered all the supplies and then it all just falls apart. Even when you follow the directions exactly, the end product looks absolutely nothing like that gorgeous DIY project you pinned. During the summer, we are all over the beautiful ice cream recipes and patio makeovers, but inevitably, some of those Pinterest projects will end up in failure and disappointment. Before you beat yourself up too much, enjoy these 17 epic summer-inspired Pinterest fails and then sit back and enjoy your non-Pinterest-worthy dessert.
2. The Perfect Summer Mani: Summer nail art is kinda our thing. So we can definitely sympathize with a few rainbow stripes gone wrong. Or maybe it has become a more abstract work of art? (via @carag503)
3. Backyard Shade: We are all about stylish patio makeovers, and adding some shade is a great way to get more use out of your outdoor space. Just make sure you use poles that are sturdy enough to handle the weight of the fabric you use. Otherwise you might end up with a saggy situation. (via Pinterest Fail)
5. Chocolate Covered Bananas: Frozen bananas are a great healthy snack for the kids come summertime, but we’re not sure even the kids would eat this mess. Sadly, it’s not as easy as it looks to get the chocolate to stick the bananas. Anyone have any suggestions? (via Pinterest Fail)
6. Tropical Green Slush: Even if it’s not a bright + beautiful rainbow of colors (that takes some time-consuming bartending skills), this cocktail will surely get the post-work HH craving satisfied. (via @mstockst)
7. Real Watermelon Cake: The original recipe suggests making sure your watermelon is nice and cold when you are frosting it to make the whipped cream stick. We’ll let you be the judge of whether or not that works. (via Pinterest Fail)
8. Fabric-Wrapped Balloons: Almost like pretty pastel hot air balloons, the original project here looked ridiculously easy. However, it turns out those were magical Pinterest balloons and real-life balloons could barely handle the weight of a single sheet of tulle. (via Pinterest Fail)
9. Patriotic Cookie Sandwich: You might not think squishing ice cream between two cookies would be too difficult, but balancing melting ice cream while trying to roll them in sprinkles is definitely a challenge. Who are we kidding though… it doesn’t matter how these turn out, ’cause we’d still eat them. (via Fancykins)
10. Rainbow Roses: You would think this would be a simple DIY since the rose does all the work, right? The only suggestion here is to remove as many leaves as possible so the food coloring moves all the way to the petals instead of just making the leaves tie dyed. (via Pinterest Fail)
11. Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes: The trick to making these summery treats work is rigging up some sort of system so the cones don’t tip over in the oven. Otherwise the end result will be this drippy mess. (via Pinterest Fail)
12. Campfire Cones: Wrap in foil and toss on the campfire. Sounds simple, right? The lesson learned from this fail was to put the cones around the edge of the fire instead of right in the coals so they don’t get burnt to a crisp. (via Pinterest Fail)
13. Sparkler Lighting: The trick to getting really good sparkler words is to make sure it’s dark enough so that you can’t really tell there are people holding the sparklers. Oh, and maybe make sure everyone knows they are supposed to be spelling backwards ;) (via Traveling Light)
14. Mango Fruit Leather: To whip up some super healthy fruit leather, all you need to do is puree some mangoes, spread ’em on a sheet and dehydrate. Well, that is, according to Pinterest. In real life, you might end up with more of a mango puddle. (via Unexpected Knock)
15. Garden Fail: No one ever said building your own garden was easy. This Pinner had a great vision without the engineering skills necessary to keep that net upright. It’s okay though, because she went back later and got it DONE. (via @jayneclobber)
16. Shark Cake: Nothing says summer like a scary shark cake, right? Unless it’s a scary shark with a dental problem. If you can get the perfect shark-gray color, mold the nose out of cake and then figure out how to apply the teeth, then you deserve some sort of Pinterest reward. (via Pinterest Fail)
What are your Pinterest fails? We’d love to hear all about the projects that went wrong! Share your experiences in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.