16 Brazilian Dishes for Your World Cup Viewing Party
Your predictions have been made, you’re wearing your jersey under your work clothes and sneaking off for “coffee” and “lunch” during game times. You’re almost doing the World Cup right. Now, you’ve gotta throw a weekend viewing party. We couldn’t possibly let you put out chips and dip. Instead, try whipping up some of these Brazilian favorites for your friends. They will be most impressed with your varied use of palm oil, coconut, cassava and seafood.
1. Quindim: These party treats are a favorite among Brazilians because of their coconutty, eggy, sugary deliciousness. And they generally come in sets of four. We’ll take four (sets), please! (via La Casa Sin Tiempo)
3. Pavê de Chocolate (Chocolate Cookie Parfait): Alright, this isn’t a truly authentic version of the dish… but it features cookie dough, so we’re willing to overlook everything else. (via Cookie Monster Cooking)
4. Salpicão (Brazilian Chicken Salad): This easy to replicate dish is diet friendly, has all the South American flavor you’re looking for and is perfect for your World Cup backyard BBQ. (via The Iron You)
6. Pao de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread): If cheese and bread are two of your favorite foods (like ours) then the logical next step would be to put them together to create one warm and gooey ball of NOM. (via Kirbie Cravings)
7. Yuca Fries (Baked Crispy Cassava Fries): Cassava is a starchy root many Brazilians (and people in other tropical regions) use for pasta-y dishes. Even though it’s carb loaded, it’s a much healthier alternative to the fries we eat here. Win! (via Brit + Co.)
9. Pastel Frito de Frango (Fried Pastels): These are like empanadas, only better. Like all the best things to be found in Brazil, these are considered street food, meaning you can order it to go and eat it as you walk along the ocean. (via The Big Field Trip)
10. Açai Bowl: This Amazonian superfruit scores, like, 10,000 on the antioxidant scale. So start your futból-watching day (or any day for that matter) off right with a healthy and delicious meal. Add some berries, oats or seeds to really bump up the nutrition. (via Epicurean Mom)
14. Beijinho de Coco (Coconut Kiss): With the plethora of coconuts in Brazil, it’s not hard to guess why so many things are flavored with them. These sweet coconut balls are a favorite for birthday parties. (via Manu’s Menu)
15. Moqueca (Brazilian Fish Soup): Brazilians are fans of their seafood and their soups, and you should be too since this one is low carb, packed with a ridiculous amount of flavor and seriously velvety. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
16. Caipirinhas: And of course, no Brazilian feast would be complete without the signature national drink. Throw some sugar, cachaça and lime into a glass, mix it up well and give an enthusiastic cheer for whichever team you’re rooting for. (via Bon Appétit)
Have you had your World Cup Party yet? If so, Tweet us pics of your Brazilian spread. If not, let us know what you’ll be cooking up in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.