11 Reasons Why You Should Skip the Pizza and Go for a Calzone or Stromboli Instead
If there’s one thing you know you shouldn’t mess with, it’s pizza night, the one night a week where you can count on a pure carb, cheese, and marinara overload in the best way possible. But, there are only so many times you can have a pepperoni pie before even the most hardcore fans want something new. You’ve tried a grilled version and experimented with unusual toppings, thin crust, and deep dish, so it’s time for a change. Instead of your usual pizza, try one of these 11 calzones and strombolis to get your fix.
2. BBQ Chicken Stromboli: If you want the perfect crowd-pleaser to serve on game day, a BBQ chicken stromboli can’t be beaten. Serve with plenty of sauces on the side for dipping. (via The Recipe Critic)
3. Cauliflower Crust Stromboli: For those of you watching your carb intake, cauliflower crust is here to save the day. This recipe shows you how to accomplish the ideal dough, and then you can fill with whatever you like. (via The Iron You)
5. Mozzarella Cheesesteak Stromboli: If you have leftover steak from last night’s grill-fest, this cheesesteak stromboli has to be on the menu for dinner tonight. Add green peppers, onions, and plenty of mozzarella for that authentic Philly flavor. (via Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen)
6. Italian Meatball Calzones: When you’re craving the classic taste of Italy, you can’t go wrong with meatballs and marinara in your calzone. Try going the extra mile and making your sauce, meatballs, and dough like the Italians do. (via Simply Scratch)
7. Spinach Artichoke Calzone: Finally, you can enjoy your favorite dip as a handheld meal. If ricotta-filled calzones aren’t your thing, this simple and light version is what you need. (via Shutterbean)
8. Reuben Stromboli: Corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese are all you need in life, right? Stuff them in a stromboli dusted with caraway seeds, and serve with Russian dressing for the full effect. (via Southern Bite)
9. Ricotta and Spinach Calzones: If you think you don’t like spinach, try it in a calzone with creamy ricotta before casting your final judgment. These are so robust and flavorful that you won’t miss the meat one bit. (via Kitschen Cat)
10. Ham and Cheese Stromboli: If you have trouble getting your kids to eat their broccoli, throw it in a stromboli with cheese and ham, and they’re sure to wise up. All you need are five simple ingredients and 30 minutes to achieve a family-friendly meal. (via Dinner at the Zoo)
11. Vegetarian Calzone: The next time meatless Monday rolls around, you’re going to be ready with this veggie calzone. It’s packed full of spinach, onions, and sweet bell peppers for a nutritious and interactive alternative to pizza. (via Ciao Florentina)
Follow us on Pinterest for more fun recipes!