13 Chilaquiles Recipes to Make This Cinco de Mayo
If your idea of Cinco de Mayo food is your Taco Tuesdays standbys and a beergarita, it’s time to up your hostess game. Queso dips and quesadillas — as tasty as they are! — are a tad predictable. Instead, inject the spice of life into your fiesta this year with fare your buds won’t find at their nearest fast food joint: chilaquiles! This traditional Mexican dish consists of fried tortilla strips typically topped with spicy sauce and cheese — but those aren’t the only options. Here are 13 chilaquiles recipes that will make you HEART Mexican street food FOREVER.
1. Paleo-Friendly Chilaquiles: Chilaquiles is similar to nachos, but more *saucy,* since the corn chips are smothered in red chili sauce or salsa verde. This red version calls for grain-free chips, which is perf if you’ve got some Paleo peeps at your party. (via Anya’s Eats)
3. Chipotle Tofu Chilaquiles: The base for this dish is a five-ingredient sauce that’s oh-so-spicy but easy-peasy to make. Thanks to that and a pop of chipotles in adobo, this vegan-friendly version is amazingly flavorful. (via Minimalist Baker)
4. Carnitas Chilaquiles With Whipped Jalapeño Cream: This all-beef chilaquiles recipe is absolutely LOADED. It’s def more work to start with homemade shoulder roast, but one bite of the meat that falls right off the fork and you won’t be disappointed. (via Half Baked Harvest)
6. Vegetarian Black Bean Chilaquiles Casserole: This could just as easily be called *leftovers chilaquiles,* as it’s made with leftover chips and beans. Party food doesn’t get any easier than this. (via Aberdeen’s Kitchen)
7. Easy Skillet Chicken Chilaquiles: This one-pan wonder is quick and super tasty, thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken and jarred salsa verde. It’s topped with sour cream, guacamole, radishes, and fresh cilantro, as well as a side of pickled red onions for extra pop. (via The Pioneer Woman)
8. Chilaquiles Verdes With Fried Eggs and Pickled Red Onion: This *green* version comes with a homemade verde sauce and a recipe for quick-pickled red onions for that dash of authenticity. Eggs are a traditional topper if you’re serving yours at brunch or breakfast… or simply make an excellent breakfast-for-dinner. (via Wilde Flavors)
9. Quick & Easy Chicken Mole Chilaquiles: Mole sauce isn’t traditionally used in chilaquiles, but one bite of this baby and you’ll be saying “Why the heck not?” That extra dimension of rich cocoa and spicy chilis is like a love letter to your taste buds. (via What Do You Crave?)
10. Vegan Chilaquiles With Chickpeas: If chilaquiles and chana masala had a baby, it would look like this. This spicy mashup is vegetarian, nut-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free to satisfy ALL the palates at your party. (via Vegan Richa)
11. Chorizo Veggie Jimmy Nardello Chilaquiles: This colorful skillet dish calls for homegrown Jimmy Nardello peppers, but you can substitute any sweet pepper of your choice. Spicy chorizo and green enchilada sauce more than make up for the mildness of the peppers. (via The Kitchen Paper)
12. Easy Chilaquiles Verde: If you crave Tex-Mex for brekkie, this three-egg skillet is your jam. All the heat in this version comes from the salsa, so the hotter your salsa, the spicier your chilaquiles. (via Foodie Girl Chicago)
13. Mexican Street Corn Chilaquiles: Here’s a street-food hybrid that’s like a double-whammy to the taste buds. The only thing better than ooey-gooey chilaquiles is chilaquiles and cheesy delicious elotes! (via Spices in My DNA)
If you love authentic street foods from around the globe, follow us on Pinterest for more recipes.