We’re busting this myth: Fondant isn’t just for decorating cakes. The versatile rolled icing is great for accenting treats like cookies and pretzels or as a filling for homemade candy. Really, it should be renamed fundant (har, har). Get to know your new favorite baking accessory by trying out these fondant-friendly recipes.
1. Beer Mug Cupcakes with Baileys Filling: Hello, delicious! These mini mugs are simple to make and the wow factor is off the charts! (viaTablespoon)
2. Cheeseburger Cookies: If you don’t have time to bake cookies, you can use store-bought chocolate and vanilla shortbread, wafer or sugar cookies. (viaBake at 350)
3. Mocha Cupcakes in Edible Coffee Mug: On the same page as the beer mug cupcakes, this version uses a larger-sized cupcake and is equally delicious! (viaEasy Baked)
4. Rice Krispie Treat Cupcake: Taking the fondant-wrapped cupcake one step further: instead of cake, use a rice cereal and marshmallow mixture. (viaCake Journal)
5. Poured Fondant Petit Fours: Rather than rolling out fondant, make a pour-able version, which is perfect for covering these tiny cakes. (viaSprinkle Bakes)
6. Fleur de Sel/Vanilla Cream Fondant Caramel Spirals: Salted caramel is everything. Everything. This homemade candy is also everything. Get our drift? (viaSugar Baby)
7. Sweet Sushi Mini Fondant Cakes: Even vegetarians will indulge in this treat. (viaBrit + Co)
8. Healthy Krispie Treats with Vanilla Fondant: What do you get when you cross an oatmeal raisin cookie and a Rice Krispie treat? This. (via Desserts With Benefits)
9. Sports Ball Cookies: These semi-homemade cookies are multi-functional. Use them as cake toppers or for an edible game of Tic-tac-toe. (viaCake Whiz)
10. Carnation Flower Cookie: The feminine answer to the sports cookie? Sure. Regardless, these are flowers that don’t need sunlight and water. (viaThe Decorated Cookie)
11. Homemade Licorice: With this base recipe, you can make licorice of all shapes and sizes! (via Priscilla’s Memories of Home)
Do you use fondant? Do you have any fondant tips or recipes? Let us know!