Ah, the noble microwave. From meals you can make in a mug to a four-course brunch, this appliance is like the superhero of the quick and easy meal. But did you know your microwave can be used to make even more gourmet treats? We’re not just talking about upgrading dorm food or heating up leftovers. We’re talking about making perfect latte foam and cooking mature, grown-up vegetables like butternut squash. You’ll be amazed at the potential your microwave has to turn you into a pro in the kitchen — all at just the push of a button.
1. Frothy Latte Milk: Instead of shelling out for an expensive milk whisker, you can use your microwave to make almost perfect frothed milk for your latte. Before you know it, you’ll be practicing latte art in your own kitchen. (via The Kitchn)
2. Dried Herbs: If your indoor herb garden did incredibly well this summer, you best save some of those fresh herbs for year-long use. Not only does the microwave make it easy to dry herbs, but it’s actually the best way to preserve all the oils. (via Food and Wine)
3. Toasted Coconut: There’s no need to thaw when your microwave can toast things like coconut. Just put a layer of shredded coconut on a microwave-safe plate and microwave in intervals until the coconut begins to turn golden brown. Unlike the oven, you’ll never have to worry about burning it. (via King Arthur Flour)
4. Cook Corn on the Cob: Instead of firing up the grill or boiling an enormous pot of water, the easiest way too cook corn on the cob is to just pop it it in the microwave. Not only is it super fast, but the corn comes out completely silk-free. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
5. Perfectly Poached Eggs: Properly impress your friends with brunch at your place this weekend by making poached eggs in your microwave. That’s right, no more egg-drop soup for you. (via Foxes Love Lemons)
6. Healthy Potato Chips: Yes, you can have your potato chips and feel more healthy about enjoying them. The process is a bit time consuming, but after that first crispy bite you’ll agree it’s totally worth the effort. (via This Week for Dinner)
7. Lemon Curd: With this microwave method, you’ll become a serious lemon curd addict since you can whip up a batch in a few minutes. In case you don’t eat it all with a spoon, you can also use lemon curd on crepes, ice cream, cheesecakes and yogurt. (via Very Culinary)
8. Roasted Garlic: Cut off the garlic head, place in a microwave-safe dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and cook in increments until the cloves are soft and tender. Your kitchen will smell delicious and everyone will assume you’ve been slaving over the stove for hours. (via Budget Bytes)
9. Homemade Caramel Sauce: You’ll never go back to store-bought caramel after you make this easy microwave version. From ice cream topping to desserts or even a drizzle or two in your coffee, this jar of this deliciousness will be gone before you know it. (via Cookies and Cups)
10. Juice Your Citrus: Anyone else squeeze the life out of a lime and only get half a teaspoon? Stick those lemons and limes in the microwave for a few seconds before squeezing to get more juice out of the fruit. (via Get Creative Juice)
11. Bring Honey Back to Life: Chipping away at crystallized honey is a surefire way to squash any desire for natural sweetener. But if you keep your honey in a glass jar, just put it in the microwave for about a minute to re-liquefy. (via DIY Village)
What cool things do you cook in your microwave? Share more hacks with us in the comments below!