12 Amazing Things You Didn’t Know Your Microwave Could Do
Ah, the noble microwave. From meals you can make in a mug to a four-course brunch, this appliance is like the superhero of the quick and easy meal. But did you know your microwave can be used to make even more gourmet treats? We’re not just talking about upgrading dorm food or heating up leftovers. We’re talking about making perfect latte foam and cooking mature, grown-up vegetables like butternut squash. You’ll be amazed at the potential your microwave has to turn you into a pro in the kitchen — all at just the push of a button.
1. Frothy Latte Milk: Instead of shelling out for an expensive milk whisker, you can use your microwave to make almost perfect frothed milk for your latte. Before you know it, you’ll be practicing latte art in your own kitchen. (via The Kitchn)
2. Dried Herbs: If your indoor herb garden did incredibly well this summer, you best save some of those fresh herbs for year-long use. Not only does the microwave make it easy to dry herbs, but it’s actually the best way to preserve all the oils. (via Food and Wine)
3. Toasted Coconut: There’s no need to thaw when your microwave can toast things like coconut. Just put a layer of shredded coconut on a microwave-safe plate and microwave in intervals until the coconut begins to turn golden brown. Unlike the oven, you’ll never have to worry about burning it. (via King Arthur Flour)
4. Cook Corn on the Cob: Instead of firing up the grill or boiling an enormous pot of water, the easiest way too cook corn on the cob is to just pop it it in the microwave. Not only is it super fast, but the corn comes out completely silk-free. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
5. Perfectly Poached Eggs: Properly impress your friends with brunch at your place this weekend by making poached eggs in your microwave. That’s right, no more egg-drop soup for you. (via Foxes Love Lemons)
6. Healthy Potato Chips: Yes, you can have your potato chips and feel more healthy about enjoying them. The process is a bit time consuming, but after that first crispy bite you’ll agree it’s totally worth the effort. (via This Week for Dinner)
7. Lemon Curd: With this microwave method, you’ll become a serious lemon curd addict since you can whip up a batch in a few minutes. In case you don’t eat it all with a spoon, you can also use lemon curd on crepes, ice cream, cheesecakes and yogurt. (via Very Culinary)
8. Roasted Garlic: Cut off the garlic head, place in a microwave-safe dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and cook in increments until the cloves are soft and tender. Your kitchen will smell delicious and everyone will assume you’ve been slaving over the stove for hours. (via Budget Bytes)
9. Homemade Caramel Sauce: You’ll never go back to store-bought caramel after you make this easy microwave version. From ice cream topping to desserts or even a drizzle or two in your coffee, this jar of this deliciousness will be gone before you know it. (via Cookies and Cups)
10. Juice Your Citrus: Anyone else squeeze the life out of a lime and only get half a teaspoon? Stick those lemons and limes in the microwave for a few seconds before squeezing to get more juice out of the fruit. (via Get Creative Juice)
11. Bring Honey Back to Life: Chipping away at crystallized honey is a surefire way to squash any desire for natural sweetener. But if you keep your honey in a glass jar, just put it in the microwave for about a minute to re-liquefy. (via DIY Village)
What cool things do you cook in your microwave? Share more hacks with us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)