5 Bike Startups You Need to Know About
We’ve told you about all the hottest bike accessories, helmet developments and rad cyclist clothing. But what about the actual bikes? This old-school form of transportation has undergone quite a few improvements, and you don’t have to be marathon cyclist to enjoy them. Scroll on for five of our fave bike startups that’ll give your commute a stylish and eco-friendly edge.
1. Villy Custom: One peek at this website, and we bet you’ll be on it for hours. Seriously, we can’t stop designing bikes! Villy, a Dallas-based company that was on Shark Tank (backed by Mark Cuban, obviously!), delivers men’s and women’s one-speed bikes, with custom orders completed in only 10 business days. You’ve been warned: Designing your own custom ride is dangerously addictive.
2. Priority Bicycles: This brand is skipping the literal and figurative bells and whistles of flashy, modern bikes. The result is a stripped-down, needs-only simple three-speed bike that appeals to the purist in us. It even comes with a foot brake, just like when you were a kid! And for actual kids, there’s the Priority Start, an adorable iteration of a training wheel bike that your little one will love to ride.
3. Solé Bicycles: This Venice Beach-based company has actually been around since 2009 and steadily gained a cult following among celebrities and casual cyclists alike. Their philosophy is simple: a bike should be lightweight (only 26 lbs!), fun and stylish. At under $400, even the most fickle of riders can invest in this chic mode of transport.
4. Sondors eBike: Sondors bills itself as the most affordable eBike, coming in under $650, which is pretty good given all the functionality this bike has. It can go up to 20 miles per hour for 50 miles at a stretch before needing to be charged, with a 350-watt motor. Fun fact: The designer, Storm Sondors, used to design McDonald’s Happy Meal toys!
5. Brilliant Bicycle Co.: Brilliant Bikes aims to be uncomplicated and unintimidating in their product and design, and they want to make biking easy and fun again. They only offer two styles — the Astor and the Mayfair — which retail for $299 and $399, respectively. Like Everlane, they take the middle man out of the equation in order to offer a lower cost. Their higher-quality bikes are even made in their wind-powered facilities. Our favorite part is that each style comes in six colors, like tangerine, frosted mint and marsala.
Which startup would you choose? Tell us in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)