14 DIY Recipes of Your Fave Cereals
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so shouldn’t it involve more than just a bowlful of off-the-shelf sugar (or simply a mugful of coffee)? These 14 homemade cereal recipes offer a more healthful spin on some of our childhood faves. Whip up a big batch over the weekend to make morning meals super easy, all while serving up a side of nostalgia at the same time.
1. Corn Flakes Cereal: Enjoy munching on these crisp, golden flakes as a snack or in a bowlful of milk; they’re delicious either way. Made with sugar instead of malt syrup, they’re naturally gluten-free. (via Always Order Dessert)
3. Frosted Cheerios: Three minutes is all it takes to transform plain ol’ Cheerios into lightly-coated, sweet ones. If frosting isn’t your thing, check out the equally easy honey nut version. (via Cupcake Project)
4. Lucky Charms: Making your very own melt-in-your-mouth ‘mallows is remarkably easy. Mix your preferred ratio of cereal to marshmallows and make all of your childhood dreams come true. (via Spiced Blog)
5. Rice Krispies Treats Cereal: We’re continuing the marshmallow theme with this DIY version of Rice Krispies Treats cereal. The trick to getting them to stand up to a splash of milk is making the treats just a touch sweeter and crispier than usual. (via Serious Eats)
6. Honey Bunches of Oats: Homemade honey granola plus corn flakes and sliced almonds is all it takes to make this gorgeous bowlful. We wouldn’t blame you if the granola never made it to the final version — it’s delicious in its own right. (via The Carboholic)
7. Cinnamon Toast Crunch: Just as cinnamon-y and flaky as the off-the-shelf version, you’ll like that this homemade recipe cuts down on the sugar big time. A blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flours add to the more nutritious — but no less delightful — experience. (via Food52)
8. Corn Puffs Cereal: Stick to puffed corn for a custom-sweetened spin on classic Corn Pops. Feel like mixin’ things up? Use your favorite puffed grain, like millet or rice, instead. (via Comfy Belly)
13. Chocolate Cereal Puffs: We’re pretty crazy (one might even say cuckoo) about these chocolatey puffs. They’re shockingly easy to whip up and just as satisfying as their super sugary counterparts from the store. For a paleo-friendly version, be sure to check out this recipe from PaleOMG. (via She Knows)
14. Strawberry Nutri Grain Bars: We grabbed our fair share of these cereal bars as we ran out the door to catch the school bus. Happily, they’re just as good to nosh on nowadays during your morning commute. (via Half Baked Harvest)
Feeling nostalgic? Which DIY cereals are you going to mix up to satisfy your craving? Share with us in the comments.
No matter what your holiday plans look like this year, we know you want to feel present and able to embrace the warm and festive spirit to the fullest — not be bogged down by errands, stressful hosting duties, and last-minute shopping disasters. We wouldn't be surprised if one look at your December to-do list sent you into a full-on panic.