These 10 Shag Haircuts Will Get You So Excited for Fall Beauty
Fashion isn’t the only thing we’re borrowing from the ’70s. We’ve also been raiding the vintage hair salon archives for some cool new fall hairstyles, and there’s one that has caused some major blippage on our style radar: the shag. Now, this cut isn’t exactly the one that your mom, grandma or even dad used to rock. This look has been made modern by softening it a bit and adding color and curls, and women like Taylor Swift, Alexa Chung and Jennifer Lopez have been seen rocking the look recently. Here are 10 ladies wearing the heck out of the shag.
1. Ice Queen: We all remember when T-Swift shed her signature long blonde locks for this ice queen shag to usher in her own Good Girl, Gone (kinda) Bad era. This shorter look has a nice edgy feel to it, amplified by the sexy, sassy cut.
2. Great Lengths: This cut looks great no matter the length. The longer version featuring lots of layers gives you an easy, breezy, ’70s hippie vibe, perfect for all the fall knits, neutral colors and textured clothes.
3. That ’70s Show: Say goodbye to your mermaid ombre hair this #transformationtuesday by embracing your natural brunette hue and going for a retro change: a shaggy banged look.
4. Messy Shag: If you’re looking for a style that requires minimal morning effort (because these longer nights and shorter days are kicking our butt too), then this cut is the one for you. The messier you go, the better.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Karlie Kloss (@karliekloss) on
5. The Squad Cut: Taylor Swift isn’t the only member of her squad to go for the shag. Model Karlie Kloss also went for a #throwbackthursday ’70s cut, but opted for a natural-looking dye job instead.
View this post on Instagram
☘🍀charcoal shadow root melted into a smokey gray and finished with neon green tips🍀☘ #lovehairartproducts #brazilianbondbuilder #B3 #lovehairartproducts #mysconnection #pravanavivids #hairporn #hairgasm #hairinspo #hairgoals #hotd #pulpriothair #hairbrained #stocktonstylist #vanessastylesyou #visitstockton #sacramento #bayarea
A post shared by HAIRSTYLIST In Stockton CA (@vanessastylesyou) on
6. Back to Black (and Lime): Complicate your short shag cut in the best way possible by adding ombre lime tips and a cool geometric undercut. Tattoos and leather jacket optional.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Holistic Hairstylist (@missyveyret) on
7. Basic Brunette: Color, highlights and balayage are fun, but this kind of layered haircut doesn’t need all those bells and whistles to rock. Let your gorgeous brunette hair shine through with a textured bob.
8. Princess Peach: The name of this shade is peach, but the color IRL is more like a beautiful rose gold that perfectly mimics autumn sunsets. These barrel curls just accentuate the beautiful hue.
9. The Alexa Cut: Alex Chung’s signature haircut, a messy lob shag, is the perfect cool-girl hair. It’s totally unfussy and laid back with baby highlights. This shoulder-grazing cut is perfect for fall, when your focus in on pumpkin spice, not your big barrel curling iron.
10. Biker Cool: Instead of looking faded, this shag-a-delic haircut looks edgy AF. It will perfectly frame your face and your cool on-trend choker, and you wont have to stress yourself over finding matching earrings — the layers pack a punch on their own.
Looking for more fall hair inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for more amazing manes!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.